Install Rocky with LSI SAS9211-8I

Hey all,

So, I was curious if there’s anyway to add the ELRepo before installation and be able to use that to recognize the disks I have?

I think the only place I seem to be able to find drivers for the LSI card I have (LSI SAS9211-8I) is in the ELRepo. Rocky does not appear to be able to see them. However, I can use tools like Parted Magic and see them all day long.

Or if there’s another method I would have to use to detect them, I’m all ears?

My setup (Amazon links):
DELL PowerEdge R610
LSI SAS9211-8I
SK hynix Gold S31 SSDs

Thank you

Yes. Not repo, but Driver Update Disk (dud).
See The ELRepo Blog: RHEL 8.0 and support for removed adapters

Run lspci -nn to get device ID. Then check ELRepo | DeviceIDs
Look up the appropriate dd-***.el8_6.elrepo.iso from the Index of /linux/dud/el8/x86_64

Then you can append to installer kernel’s command-line:

inst.dd=https://elrepo.org/linux/dud/el8/x86_64/dd-***.el8_6.elrepo.iso

(Presuming you have driver for NIC.)

The dud both loads driver for installer so that you can install, and installs the kmod-*** package to the system.
Just remember to install package elrepo-release afterwards, so that you have later access to repo for updates.

1 Like

Is there a way to get a terminal interface during installation? This has never really been an issue with me in the past since usually the hardware is supported out of the box. But now I’m dealing with a mix of new SSDs in old hardware. So, I have clean disks I’m trying to use inside this server.

Yes, when the installer does run there should be an option to switch to console. Can’t remember what it is, perhaps Ctrl-Alt-F2.

Option 2 is to choose the “Troubleshoot” from bootloader menu and there the “Rescue”. That definitely gives a console access.
See for more Chapter 7. Booting the installation Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 | Red Hat Customer Portal

So, now I’ve downloaded the .iso and .rpm file from ELRepo. What exactly do you mean by the “installer kernel’s command line” ?

When you boot, there will be boot loader menu similar to what RHEL installer has. (Shown in the linked page.)

• Install Rocky
  • Test media & install Rocky
  • Troubleshoot

The Red Hat’s page describes how you can edit a boot entry before actually booting.

OK, so with the device listed as 1000:0072 which gave me:
pci 1000:0072 kmod-mpt3sas

So, found the device link at: https://elrepo.org/linux/dud/el9/x86_64/dd-mpt3sas-39.100.00.00-1.el9_0.elrepo.iso

Then once I booted, pressed ‘e’ in my case (UEFI), then I managed to get the GRUB screen and went to the very end to type (no quotes or spaces):
’ inst.dd=https://elrepo.org/linux/dud/el9/x86_64/dd-mpt3sas-39.100.00.00-1.el9_0.elrepo.iso

Pressed Ctrl-x as the screen states. Then I check for disks, and still nothing in terms of visible disks to write to.

Anything I missed?

Is SecureBoot enabled by any chance?

I don’t believe so, but let’s assume either case. I believe I left it off because I know that can cause issues

There is a nice tutorial video.

Many people found it helpful. The author is replying to every question asked.

1 Like