LSI SAS Controller

Hello

I have a few questions for you before I used Centos7 for my server and for my workstation

now i switched to rocky linux for my server everything is fine thank you for your work,

but I have a small problem for my workstation, HP Z800 workstation
with a SAS controller (LSI corporation mpt sas bios)

lspci --nn

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801JIR (ICH10R) LPC Interface Controller [8086:3a16]
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller [0104]: Intel Corporation SATA Controller [RAID mode] [8086:2822]

I was wondering how I could install Rocky linux on this station because it does not recognize LSI
I know there is probably a way but I need help.

Knowing that I have been on Linux for almost 2 years only, I am doing well but this is a bit complicated for me

thank you in advance and for your project

lionel

lspci --nn
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller [0104]: Intel Corporation SATA Controller [RAID mode] [8086:2822]

ID 8086 Intel Corporation
ID 2822 SATA Controller [RAID mode]

I can not see LSI SAS controller!

Hello Xino

thank you for taking a few minutes to answer me

1:00.0 SCSI storage controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)

41:00.0 SCSI storage controller [0100]: Broadcom / LSI SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS [1000:0058] (rev 08)

Thanks Dot

texte file from lspci command

lspci -nn

https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?t=74710
SAS1 not officially supported and have been deprecated
Sorry man!

Thank you Xino

I will take the time to read all this

Have a good day

That can be found from ELRepo | DeviceIDs
Therefore, ELRepo has built module mptsas.ko as package kmod-mptsas for some platforms.
Lets see:

[EL8]$ dnf -q list kmod-mptsas
Available Packages
kmod-mptsas.x86_64                 3.04.20-7.el8_6.elrepo              elrepo

[EL9]$ dnf -q list kmod-mptsas
Available Packages
kmod-mptsas.x86_64                 3.04.20-1.el9_0.elrepo              elrepo

Looks like it is available for both.

If you do need to install to such array, then the installer has to load driver update disk (DUD).

That is, append

inst.dd=https://elrepo.org/linux/dud/el8/x86_64/dd-mptsas-3.04.20-7.el8_6.elrepo.iso

to installer kernel’s command-line, if you are installing Rocky 8.6

Hello jlehtone

I'll take a good look at this

thank you for your time

Dots

@jlehtone

A minor correction: for EL8, it is 3.04.20-7.el8_6.elrepo. :slight_smile:

@Dots

If you prefer a video tutorial, here’s a nice one:

:flushed: What did I copy-paste??

Thanks, corrected.

Hi there

Finally it works I will be able to install Rocky
I only did a test now I see my discs

Thank you all you have been an incredible and fast help to me

Dots

Edit:

I just finished the installation everything works perfectly.

1 Like

Now make sure that you have ELRepo repository.
Easiest method is to ensure that you have package elrepo-release installed. Rocky provides it.

The thing with ELRepo kmod packages is that they work with every kernel of point release, but no further.
If a new kernel is released for Rocky 8.6, one simply installs and reboots. The “weak deps” handle it.

However, when Rocky 8.7 appears, you have to install both 8.7’s kernel and update the kmod-mptsas package to “el8_7” version. The “el8_7” version does not function with Rocky 8.6’s kernels.

Hello jlehtone

thanks for the info, is this what you are talking about?

Merci Dots

Blockquote Community Enterprise Linux Repository (ELRepo) - ELRepo focuses on newer kernels and kmod driver packages to enhance hardware support for currently supported Enterprise Linux versions. This includes display, filesystem, network, storage drivers. You can install the necessary repo files by running dnf install elrepo-release. Note that the kernel repositories will have to be enabled.

Yes, the

… kmod driver packages to enhance hardware support for currently supported Enterprise Linux versions …

The dd-mptsas-3.04.20-7.el8_6.elrepo.iso is a disk image that provides mptsas kernel module and package kmod-mptsas package that that same kernel module.
You did need the disk image in order for the installer to load the mptsas and thus be able to install to the RAID volume.

You will need to occasionally update the kernel module by updating the package from repository “elrepo”.
If you don’t, then you will eventually install a kernel that has no mptsas and therefore cannot boot.

Hi jlehtone

ok if i understand correctly

as soon as I change the kernel module (EX: 8.6 to 8.7)

if I installed elrepo-release everything will be included for the kmod-mptsas module and package (mptsas update)

if not i should do it manually the updated using disk image ans the new dd-mptsas-3.04.20-7.el8_6.elrepo.iso

for example dd-mptsas-3.04.20-7.el8_7.elrepo.iso

thank you dots

Hi I was wondering if I could piggy back on this (please let me know if I should start a new thread)
I have the same LSI controller 1000:0058 and when I try to install the driver listed here I get an error, and if I try to install the newer driver I am getting a kickstart error. I am installing RL 9.1

ELRepo | DeviceIDs says:

pci 1000:0058 kmod-mptsas

Therefore, dd-mptsas-3.04.20-2.el9_1.elrepo.iso would be the DUD image for el9.1.

1 Like

Thank you so much, the driver installed with no issues!

1 Like