Rocky Broadcom SAS compatibility

OK…here is my problem. I am testing a migration from a Centos 7.9 production server to a fresh install of Rocky 9.2. I am having issues with Broadcom/Avago/Lsi chip support which is an absolute must on my production servers. I am not having issues with the 9631-8i SAS3 raid controller at this time as rocky 9.2 has the mpt3sas module present in the kernel.

In my production servers I also use LT0-6 tape drives and hardware. The hardware for the LTO-6 connection is an LSI SAS2 interface card in IT mode. The module is called mpt2sas and when I look for it it is not in Rocky 9.2 ? It’s like what the heck. A $50 dollar SAS2 card is all I need for this connection.

I have been searching google and the upstream vendor for information regarding the support for these interfaces and have read several posts that RHEL9 is going to discontinue support for both of these controller chips ? Can anyone verify if this is true ?

Without the MPT2SAS module loaded I don’t even see a /dev/st0 device node ?

My understanding is that mpt2sas is an alias for mpt3sas. If you can get the device IDs of your hardware (lspci -nn), it will help identify the driver.

modprobe mpt2sas
lsmod |grep mpt2sas
lsmod |grep mpt
mpt3sas 344064 0
raid_class 16384 1 mpt3sas
scsi_transport_sas 45056 1 mpt3sas
modinfo mpt3sas
filename: /lib/modules/4.18.0-477.21.1.el8_8.x86_64/kernel/drivers/scsi/mpt3sas/mpt3sas.ko.xz
alias: mpt2sas
version: 43.100.00.00
license: GPL
description: LSI MPT Fusion SAS 3.0 Device Driver
author: Avago Technologies MPT-FusionLinux.pdl@avagotech.com
rhelversion: 8.8
srcversion: 8145AD2901AA232C32A0F48

should be much the same on 9.2

regards peter

Hello,
I have verified that the mpt3sas driver in Rocky 9.2 will not function with an lsi sas2 based chipset or card. Either in Raid mode or IT mode.

Can’ modprobe, or load the module for mpt2sas because it is no longer exists. mpt3sas is not backward compatible with mpt2sas.

I wonder who the upstream genius is that had the brilliant idea to remove it ? Since the mpt2sas hardware/driver is good for any hardware up to SAS2 or SATA3 6gb/s including spinning disks, sata ssd, tape drives, etc. this was a pretty dumb move.

Hell, I still run large arays of SAS2 15k.7 cheetah’s for storage…this really sucks.

In 9.2, mpt2sas is an alias for mpt3sas as before.

$ modinfo mpt2sas
filename: /lib/modules/5.14.0-362.8.1.el9_3.x86_64/extra/mpt3sas/mpt3sas.ko
alias: mpt2sas
version: 43.100.00.00
license: GPL
description: LSI MPT Fusion SAS 3.0 Device Driver
author: Avago Technologies MPT-FusionLinux.pdl@avagotech.com
rhelversion: 9.3

name: mpt3sas

Problem is that some of the devices are “disabled/deprecated/unmaintained”. I suspect yours is one of them? If that is the case, use of ELRepo’s kmod package (or its DUD iso image for the installation) will help.

Can you somehow get the device ID pairing [xxxx:yyyy] ?

im sure i use this mpt2sas driver on my fileserver.
my fileservers run proxmox as a base os, and then openmediavault
as a virtual machine.
i then share the devices from proxmox to the openmedia vault so it can mount , export and manage the, in a kind of passthrough mode.
id have to dig out how i did the passthrough if you are interested, but perhaps this could be a solution for your redhat/rocky 9.2 issue.
let me know if you are interested, either pm me or reply.
regards peter

I just complied and bought a sas3008 series controller and flashed it to IT mode. Even though the SAS2 controller was all that it needed for this application.Trying to get it running in a work environment would cost more hours of IT staff work than it was worth. If this was a at home toy then that would be different.

I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions ! Thanks…Rob

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.