Update to 8.7 missing drivers due to deprecated hardware

Upgraded from 8.4 through 8.7 in succession over the last month. 8.7 was running fine until performing updates yesterday.
Server would not boot due to the following errors denoted in the attached images.

The issue appears to be with the HPSA Raid Controller and according to RHEL the noted device is not supported anymore.

Fell back to 8.6 kernel and all is good.
$ modinfo hpsa
filename: /lib/modules/4.18.0-372.32.1.el8_6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/scsi/hpsa.ko.xz
license: GPL
version: 3.4.20-200-RH1
description: Driver for HP Smart Array Controller version 3.4.20-200-RH1
author: Hewlett-Packard Company
rhelversion: 8.6
srcversion: BE82E613618B3BB709A4E4F

I am not a Linux guru and if I read right the drivers are embedded in the kernel. In this case it is no longer included. Is there a means to work around this?

Appreciate the help - thanks!

The deprecation warning in the console is not stopping you from booting. The latest kernel 4.18.0-425.3.1 still has your driver.

[root@router scsi]# ls -l /lib/modules/4.18.0-425.3.1.el8.x86_64/kernel/drivers/scsi/hpsa.ko.xz
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 47112 Nov  9 13:33 /lib/modules/4.18.0-425.3.1.el8.x86_64/kernel/drivers/scsi/hpsa.ko.xz

What the message is telling me is that you need to update the firmware for your mainboard and the raid controller. That is something you might want to look into. What’s giving it away are these messages:

No firmware reserved region can cover this RMRR ... contact BIOS vendor for fixes
Request device fault index - Blocked an interrupt request due to source-id verification failure

Ok thank you for the reply, I thought I was at a stop gap here in my upgrades. I will try to locate the needed firmware updates. Second hand server that didn’t come with any docs or software.

Again I appreciate the quick response and really enjoying
Rocky Linux!

Kernel is modular. There is core binary (the kernel) and kernel modules.

While Red Hat decides what drivers are built directly into the kernel, what are built and included as modules, and what are completely omitted from build even though sources exists, I don’t think that they ever remove from major version what they have added to it.

What they do is omit (old) drivers from the future major versions. The ‘hpsa’ is deprecated in el8, but it is in el8 all the way to 2029. It is the el9 that does not have it. (ELRepo does build additional kernel modules that are too old or too niche for RH to include them.)

@jlehtone
Thanks for the additional information. I looked at ElRepo yesterday, will revisit once I get the server firmware updated.

Thanks again, much appreciated!