Rocky 9.2 and gnome-classic.desktop- how hide home user folders for all users

Hi-

I am running 9.2 with gnome-classic.desktop. Every time I log in, my user’s home folders and trash are shown as desktop icons. How do I prevent showing user homedir folder, trash, subdirs, files this for all users on this host?

donf’s org/gnome/desktop/background/show-desktop-icons is already set to FALSE. Why are the user folders still appearing on the desktop? I installed gnome-tweaks, but the extensions tab is missing. gnome-extensions appears to be cli-only. running gnome-extensions prefs desktop-icons@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com pops a window, but unchecking the boxes STILL DOES NOT remove all the icons (the homedir subfolder icons and files are still there). And it only works per-user.

I notice that the icons randomly disappear- like when opening an app and closing it- icons on desktop gone all of a sudden. run dconf and they come back - or logout/login as same user- they come back. Why?

How should I properly prevent 9.2 gnome-classic.desktop GUI from displaying any and all user’s homedir icons (folders, trash and files)? Thank you.

EDIT:
list of GUIs installed:
gnome-classic.desktop (only one in /usr/share/xsessions; rest moved to a subfolder i created)
gnome-classic-xorg.desktop
gnome-custom-session.desktop
gnome.desktop
gnome-xorg.desktop
mate.desktop (added post-OS install)
xfce.desktop (added post-OS install)
xinit-compat.desktop

EDIT2:
found
org/gnome/shell/extensions/desktop-icons
disabling show-home, show-trash DOES NOT remove the desktop icons for non-hidden homedir subfolders homedir non-hidden files. Why?
show-mount FAILS to show icons for mounted NFS shares. Why?

EDIT3:

gnome-extensions disable desktop-icons@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com

works to remove icons
BUT FOR ONLY 1 USER
AND REALLY DOESNT WORK- because it also removes the right click desktop for terminal

What is the story here? Is there some conflict?

Solved. The leradmin user dir was somehow corrupted/missing a proper setting somewhere I could not locate. I deleted and recreated leradmin with adduser and viola:
cat /etc/dconf/db/local.d/10-GNOME-desktop-icons

#dconf path
[org/gnome/shell/extensions/desktop-icons]
#GSettings key names and their corresponding values
show-home=false
show-mount=false
show-trash=false

ran:
dconf update and no more icons on desktop, unless placed in ~/Desktop/. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.