Need to install libdb4 rpm

Hi, I need to install ‘libdb4’ package with el9, but couldn’t get the rpm from rocky9 repo. Is there any other source having this package ‘libdb’ specific to ‘version 4’? This libdb-5.3.28-53.el9.src.rpm is available in rocky repo. But I need libdb4.

If you were using Rocky 8, then you could use the cheese-release repository which has libdb4.

https://pkgs.org/search/?q=cheese-release

Whilst you could try installing that on Rocky 9, and assuming you only install libdb4 from it, then you shouldn’t run into any huge complications. Although it would be better if that cheese repository did provide for EL9 distributions instead of just for EL8. It’s usually not recommended to use EL8 repositories on EL9. Alternatively, you just have to wait until someone packages it, or to search Fedora source rpms to see if they have anything for libdb4 for you to build from using mock.

I use the cheese repository on Fedora Linux, and have libdb4 installed.

1 Like

" The libdb package is deprecated as of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 9 and might not be available in future major RHEL releases (RHEL 10 or later). Users of libdb are advised to migrate to a different key-value database. This article suggests replacements for libdb in RHEL.

RHEL 8 and RHEL 9 currently provide libdb 5.3.28, which is distributed under the LGPLv2 license. The upstream Berkeley DB version 6 is available under the AGPLv3 license, which is more restrictive and many projects cannot use it.

Berkeley DB (libdb) is mostly used as a key-value store. RHEL provides multiple alternatives, all of which are available for the following architectures:

• AMD and Intel 64-bit architectures
  • the 64-bit ARM architecture
  • IBM Power Systems, Little Endian
  • 64-bit IBM Z

NOTE: Do not try to remove the libdb package from RHEL 9 and earlier because other packages require it.

1 Like