Mariadb repo for rocky 9

Hello

is there any available repo for mariadb for rocky 9 special for latest version like 8 or 9
i know both are short term version and 9 is still RC (needed to play with new feature non production use)

the official chat for mariadb said the next release will support rhel9 as they do not have any version on their repo for rhel9 yet

thanks for your time and help :slight_smile:

Did you actually look? It is in default repos (and actually a newer version than you requested).
This is what gets listed by dnf on a minimal rocky9 install:

dnf list mariadb*
Last metadata expiration check: 0:14:20 ago on Mon 15 Aug 2022 04:25:45 PM CEST.
Available Packages
mariadb.x86_64                                                                             3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream
mariadb-backup.x86_64                                                                      3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream
mariadb-common.x86_64                                                                      3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream
mariadb-connector-c.i686                                                                   3.2.6-1.el9_0                                                               appstream
mariadb-connector-c.x86_64                                                                 3.2.6-1.el9_0                                                               appstream
mariadb-connector-c-config.noarch                                                          3.2.6-1.el9_0                                                               appstream
mariadb-connector-c-devel.i686                                                             3.2.6-1.el9_0                                                               appstream
mariadb-connector-c-devel.x86_64                                                           3.2.6-1.el9_0                                                               appstream
mariadb-connector-odbc.x86_64                                                              3.1.12-3.el9                                                                appstream
mariadb-embedded.x86_64                                                                    3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream
mariadb-errmsg.x86_64                                                                      3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream
mariadb-gssapi-server.x86_64                                                               3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream
mariadb-java-client.noarch                                                                 3.0.3-1.el9                                                                 appstream
mariadb-oqgraph-engine.x86_64                                                              3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream
mariadb-pam.x86_64                                                                         3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream
mariadb-server.x86_64                                                                      3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream
mariadb-server-galera.x86_64                                                               3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream
mariadb-server-utils.x86_64                                                                3:10.5.16-2.el9_0                                                           appstream

So the mariadb version currently available is: 10.5.16

@JustSomeone MariaDB 10.8 and 10.9 are only likely to be available from the MariaDB repo when they make it available. As @felfert said you can use MariaDB 10.5 whilst it’s not the newest than compared to 10.8 it should be enough.

It would be pointless for someone to duplicate this work and make repositories, especially since the MariaDB team will do it in the very near future anyway.

OMG. Did he really asked for 10.8 or 10.9 but just wrote 8 and 9 and omitted the major version? How strange.

1 Like

10.5 is way older than 10.9 and 10.8
i said version 9 and 8 cause mariadb released version 5 then jump directly to 10 then kept it as base so 10.1 and 10.2 and so on

thanks @iwalker

i got that just wanted to see if anyone did it :slight_smile:

thanks for your time and have a nice day :slight_smile:

TBH I got bitten once when using an external MariaDB. I was on Ubuntu, and I used the MariaDB repo for a later version. Then after upgrading Ubuntu to the latest, the Ubuntu upgrade process removed the third-party repositories and MariaDB altogether. This is why on Ubuntu now I will never use the do-release-upgrade process, and will only use a combination of apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade to get the system updated. I will then clean out old dependencies or packages left over from the previous version, they are easy enough to find. I did manage to recover from this problem, and my databases, etc were intact. But it wasn’t a nice experience.

Unless you really need the latest version, just stick with what is available in the distribution by default. Or at least be careful when upgrading :slight_smile:

1 Like

ouch that hard thanks for the tips i will keep that in mind and for productions i use the latest long term which is 10.6 right now and i guess the next long one will be 10.11 based on their new release schedule

i never do the upgrade based from what i see from other posts

of course i am still new to linux world

i just wanted to play around with the new feature to make sure i understand it as it should be

thanks again for your time and advice and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, but RHEL9 and Rocky 9 and not for playing around with. The whole point of enterprise linux is that Redhat have carefully tested the version in the official repo, and will be able to patch it for a long time without breaking it. Note that patching is not the same as upgrading. An upgrade (without precautions) could easily break it.

1 Like

i got that but i prefer to use the same environment as much closer to the production so in case some feature or option relay on certain os level configuration/option then i be already familiar with that and know how to handle it in the future

i could be wrong thinking like that :slight_smile:

In Enterprise-land, it’s just a couple of minor revisions off. It’s okay to use good stuff if the only thing missing is the high-gloss finish.

1 Like

in case if anyone interested they released it for rhel 9 now and it support 10.5 till 10.10

and here are the repo config

and have a nice day everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes