Is there a migration path from Fedora 38?

Hello!

I run Fedora 38 on a small server, but I’d like to move to something that’s a little more stability-focused. In particular, jumping up a new kernel minor version every month or so doesn’t play too well with OpenZFS, and pinning the kernel package just causes further issues.

Is there a reasonable way to migrate an existing F38 install to Rocky Linux? I don’t mind completely reinstalling the machine, but I’d rather not if it can be avoided. :slightly_smiling_face:

No, Rocky is based from Fedora versions lower than your current installation - and even then they aren’t that comparable anymore to that particular Fedora release. Upgrades are fruitious at the best of times, downgrades even more so. Your only real way forward, and the only supported way is to clean install and then restore data/files that you need.

Ok, thanks! That’s no problem.

Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t going to create work for myself for no reason.

1 Like

Note on “fresh installs”: Red Hat provides and documents Ansible System Roles: Automating system administration by using RHEL System Roles Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 | Red Hat Customer Portal

Learning and setting them (“plays”) up first time is extra work, but can make maintenance and further reinstalls easier.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.