Installation from another host possible?

Hello,
I’m planning to install rocky linux for first time and I would like to do it from archlinux which is my current os. I didn’t find any info about this, so I don’t know if is possible. And also I found that there are 3 different isos(minimal, dvd, boot), but I didn’t find any info about the difference between them, or if there a different install procedure for any of them.

hi,

boot is more like a netinstall, which means it would need an internet connection to download everything to install, even if a minimalistic install.

minimal is a larger ISO image about 800mb - 1GB I think, which allows a minimal installation to be done without requiring an internet connection. Any additional packages outside of what is available on the minimal ISO would require an internet connection for it to be installed.

DVD is even larger 9gb - which means you have a lot more packages available to install without an internet connection.

If you want to install, you have to boot from one of the ISO images, so that means you cannot install it within Archlinux - unless of course you mean making a virtual machine (VM), then you can do that in KVM or VirtualBox or whatever you are using.

Thanks, I’d like install from a running linux installation, because I haven’t a removable media and to use iso boot from grub isn’t so easy.

You can boot the ISO from usb pendrive. There is no chroot install type, like arch or gentoo. So you will need to put the ISO on a USB pendrive.

1 Like

I downloaded the boot.iso and I booted to it from grub by editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom:

menuentry 'Rocket-Linux-8.4' {
    insmod linux
    insmod ext2
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod loopback
    insmod iso9660
    set root='hd1,msdos3'
    set isofile='/Rocky-8.4-x86_64-boot.iso'
    export isofile
    loopback loop $isofile
    probe --set isolabel --label (loop)
    linux (loop)/isolinux/vmlinuz iso-scan/filename=${isofile} inst.stage2=hd:CDLABEL=${isolabel} rd.live.image verbose >
    initrd (loop)/isolinux/initrd.img
}

Then in installation steps I needed to enable network and then to input the url which used as base repo. I couldn’t find any info about all these(for this I’m writing the steps) and I found the repo by trial-error using some relative info I found for centos. The url is this:
http://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/8.4/BaseOS/x86_64/os/
After that I proceed with the other installation steps and I installed the base system without problem.

1 Like

Note: On the online repo there is directory: Index of /pub/rocky/8.4/BaseOS/x86_64/os/images/pxeboot/

It has vmlinuz and initrd.img. Same as in the ISO, I presume.
One could download those two and point bootloader to them without ISO and loop-mount.

2 Likes