Install - HP-Laserjet-mfp-m234dw

installation and configuration HP-Laserjet-MFP-M-234dw, how can I install? Which packages should I install and how to proceed, please because I have difficulty understanding being Italian. thanks to the whole group.

• Install the hplip package with dnf install hplip
  • Start: hp-setup and follow the interaction (printer must be connected and switched on)
  • Both commands are inputed as root user into the CLI / Terminal

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/gethplip

I had already done this job, but it doesn’t work, a folder appears with Cannot written…

Hi, I’ve already tried from the terminal and it won’t let me install it, and then on the HP link, there’s no Rocky Linux, so what do I install, I tried with Fedora, and Red Hat but nothing, but maybe with epel 9, but which distribution should work, I don’t know, I’m trying them all, HP-LIP-GUI there is no trace, what should I do?

1 Like

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

Hi, the installation with dnf from the terminal works, on Rocky Linux 9.3, the printer in question is the HP-Laserjet-MFP-M234DW, the real problem is the scanner, I tried to install Simple-scan but it doesn’t see it, it’s a big problem who can help please, thanks, if you can describe the procedure,

[enzo@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost enzo]# dnf install hplip
google-chrome 19 kB/s | 3.6 kB 00:00
Dipendenze risolte.

Package Architecture Version Repository Size

Installing:
hplip x86_64 3.21.2-6.el9 appstream 18 M

Riepilogo della transazione

Installati 1 pacchetto

Dimensione totale dello scaricamento: 18 M
Dimensione installata: 26 M
Procedere [s/N]: s
Scaricamento dei pacchetti:
hplip-3.21.2-6.el9.x86_64.rpm 36 MB/s | 18 MB 00:00

Totale 26 MB/s | 18 MB 00:00
Esecuzione del controllo di transazione
Controllo di transazione eseguito con successo.
Test di transazione in corso
Test di transazione eseguito con successo
Transazione in corso
Preparazione in corso : 1/1
Installing : hplip-3.21.2-6.el9.x86_64 1/1
Esecuzione scriptlet in corso: hplip-3.21.2-6.el9.x86_64 1/1
Verifica in corso : hplip-3.21.2-6.el9.x86_64 1/1

Installati:
hplip-3.21.2-6.el9.x86_64

Fatto!
[root@localhost enzo]#

With HP printers, or at least the USB ones I’ve had, I have much more success with installing xsane for scanning with.

I know, I wanted to be able to do it, but it bothers me, I had read that it can be done, but I don’t remember, are there no alternatives?

xsane is the gui front-end, but there’s also ‘sane-backends’ in appstream (often installed by default). You can do two checks at lower level than xsane. Make sure scanner is connected and switched on, then as standard user:

If it’s using usb
lsusb
check that your scanner is in the list

Check driver
scanimage -L

You can also use scanimage to scan to tiff on the command line

If all of that works, xsane should also work.