HP Printer installation and setup

Dear Rocky Linux Family,
I have got an HP Deskjet 3775 printer. I wish to connect it to my Rocky Linux 8.5 system
I tried installing hplip from the repositories using
dnf install hplip-common
It failed to install some components from some alex_sh link.

I am sorry, I uninstalled the hplip-common after that.
I also happened to check HP’s website and they have provided this link
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/
Has anyone used this driver?

Finally Flatpak also has an HPLIP Gui extension and another Gnome Shell extension.

Kindly advise, as I imagine this will be of help to a lot of people.

Best regards,

I meant to ask if anyone has used the HPLIP .rpm file from that HP webpage.
the download yields hplip-3.22.4-RHEL8-x86_64.rpm

BR,

Hi, I documented how I installed up my HP printer - check it out, maybe it will help.

Hi @RL1000
I tried dnf search hplip

it yielded this:

[root@galileo nmp]# dnf search hplip
alex_sh’s Home Project (CentOS_8) 722 B/s | 1.1 kB 00:01
Errors during downloading metadata for repository ‘home_alex_sh’:

This missing file to be downloaded from alex_sh was present when I tried to do dnf install hplip-common as well
Could you kindly explain how do I proceed?
BR,

I am just a user of Rocky Linux and so not an expert, but what strikes me is:

1. alex_sh’s Home Project (CentOS_8) 722 B/s | 1.1 kB 00:01
    This seems to indicate you are using Centos

2. Errors during downloading metadata for repository ‘home_alex_sh’:
    home_alex_sh is not the name of a Rocky repo

3. Status code: 404 for https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/alex_sh/CentOS_8/repodata/repomd.xml
    This seems to indicate you are using opensuse repos and you need to use Rocky repos if you are using Rocky 8.5

Putting the above together is seems you are trying to use a repo for Centos by someone named alex_sh that is hosted under opensuse. And the 404 code suggests this repo does not exist.

I guess somehow this repo got installed in your Rocky 8.5.

Unless you have some specific reason to have this repo installed, I would disable or uninstall it, make sure you have the correct Rocky repos installed, and try again.

@RL1000

1. I am using Rocky Linux - I know what I am seeing :smiley:
  2. OK,
  3. OK

Thanks, but I did not install this alex_sh repository.
I thought if i do dnf install xyz, then it wil look for xyz in ALL repositories, including the default Rocky Linux ones?

I would suggest disabling the alex_sh repository found most likely in /etc/yum.repos.d/ I’m curious that why is this installed on your system? Migrated from CentOS? You can edit the file and changed enabled=1 to enabled=0, you can also do it with.

dnf config-manager --set-disabled alex_sh

Also, hplip is in the default Rocky repos so:

dnf install hplip

once you have disabled alex_sh repo. You can also check to see if any rpms might be installed from this repo, maybe something like:

rpm -qa | grep -i alex

and remove them - this repo shouldn’t be on your system.

As for hplip from the HP page, you don’t need to do that, hplip is in the Rocky repos. The only time you would need to add anything, would be a cups driver if the printer isn’t seen on the list of available printer drivers.

@iwalker
Thanks for your inputs. OK I went and tried to look at /etc/yum.repos.d/ using ls
[root@galileo nmp]# cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
[root@galileo yum.repos.d]# ls
This gives a set of repositories, which do not line up well here, so I am putting a screenshot.

to my eyes, there is no alex_sh in there…

Even so… do you want me to run

followed by

in turn followed by:

Do let me know.
BR,

There is a home:alex_sh.repo in that screenshot, right in the middle of it! Just above the nice green onlyoffice.repo - whatever that is as well probably also isn’t needed.

I would move those two files to /root for the time being, and delete them completely later.

Hi @iwalker
Thanks Ian, I should have searched better. Just did not expect alex_sh to be prefaced by home:
Anyway, when you say move those two files to /root, did you mean alex_sh and onlyoffice.repo? Should I just move them to /root using mv command?

Apologies for asking common questions…
BR

Yes:

mv /etc/yum.repos.d/onlyoffice.repo /root/
mv /etc/yum.repos.d/home:alex_sh.repo /root/

@nmp
I hope you get it sorted out

THanks @RL1000
I hope no hard feelings remain.

@iwalker
I did run

dnf install hplip

as root.

It seems to have completed without issue, except for this message midway

Running scriptlet: hplip-3.18.4-9.el8.x86_64 5/5
[/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/pesign.conf:1] Line references path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/pesign → /run/pesign; please update the tmpfiles.d/ drop-in file accordingly.

After this message, the system continues to verify some hplip files, and ends the process with
Installed:
hplip-3.18.4-9.el8.x86_64 hplip-common-3.18.4-9.el8.x86_64 hplip-libs-3.18.4-9.el8.x86_64 net-snmp-libs-1:5.8-22.el8.x86_64 python3-pillow-5.1.1-18.el8_5.x86_64

Complete!

now that I have managed to install the hplip, should I install the GUI from flatpak?

I am still unable to access the printer

Thanks,

Can you check and paste the output of this command:

systemctl status cups

copy the text from the console rather than screenshot. It’s easier to read.

If it’s running, there is also the option that the printer is stopped. Click on the cog-wheel next to the “No Active Jobs” button and see if there is an option to start it.

Also you can do:

http://localhost:631

and connect to the cups printer interface via web browser. The printer can also be started here too.

As for the hplip-gui, that’s not needed in reality, the driver is managed by cups, and cups says the printer is stopped. But if you want to install it:

[root@rocky-desktop ian]# dnf list available hplip*
Last metadata expiration check: 2:37:42 ago on Sun 15 May 2022 14:46:25 CEST.
Available Packages
hplip-common.i686                                                    3.18.4-9.el8                                                    appstream
hplip-gui.x86_64                                                     3.18.4-9.el8                                                    appstream
hplip-libs.i686                                                      3.18.4-9.el8                                                    appstream

[root@rocky-desktop ian]# dnf install hplip-gui

If a package is available to install via dnf, this should be your first thing to do. Flatpak are OK, but packages from repositories are far better.

Once the hp-lip gui is installed via dnf, you could in theory start/stop the printer there too, but cups is enough for it provided that it is working. I don’t use hplip-gui since cups does everything I need.

Dear @iwalker
I ran

systemctl status cups

It yields this:
[root@galileo yum.repos.d]# systemctl status cups
● cups.service - CUPS Scheduler
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Sun 2022-05-15 13:35:54 IST; 7h ago
Docs: man:cupsd(8)
Main PID: 1232 (cupsd)
Tasks: 3 (limit: 203131)
Memory: 28.5M
CGroup: /system.slice/cups.service
├─ 1232 /usr/sbin/cupsd -l
├─14558 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://
└─14685 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://

May 15 20:12:18 galileo cupsd[1232]: REQUEST localhost - - “POST / HTTP/1.1” 200 188 Renew-Subscription successful-ok
May 15 20:20:38 galileo cupsd[1232]: REQUEST localhost - - “POST / HTTP/1.1” 200 188 Renew-Subscription successful-ok
May 15 20:24:32 galileo cupsd[1232]: REQUEST localhost - - “POST / HTTP/1.1” 200 188 Renew-Subscription successful-ok
May 15 20:28:58 galileo cupsd[1232]: REQUEST localhost - - “POST / HTTP/1.1” 200 188 Renew-Subscription successful-ok
May 15 20:37:18 galileo cupsd[1232]: REQUEST localhost - - “POST / HTTP/1.1” 200 188 Renew-Subscription successful-ok
May 15 20:45:38 galileo cupsd[1232]: REQUEST localhost - - “POST / HTTP/1.1” 200 188 Renew-Subscription successful-ok
May 15 20:53:58 galileo cupsd[1232]: REQUEST localhost - - “POST / HTTP/1.1” 200 188 Renew-Subscription successful-ok
May 15 21:02:18 galileo cupsd[1232]: REQUEST localhost - - “POST / HTTP/1.1” 200 188 Renew-Subscription successful-ok
May 15 21:10:38 galileo cupsd[1232]: REQUEST localhost - - “POST / HTTP/1.1” 200 188 Renew-Subscription successful-ok
May 15 21:18:58 galileo cupsd[1232]: REQUEST localhost - - “POST / HTTP/1.1” 200 188 Renew-Subscription successful-ok
[root@galileo yum.repos.d]#

OK, so now check the rest of my post using the cups web interface, or the hplip to ensure the printer is started.

thanks, @iwalker I will take a break now and read the CUPs documentation later. For now, I checked and my current printer is shown as paused.

DeskJet-3700-series (Paused, Rejecting Jobs, Not Shared, Server Default)

Regards

I think you basically need to unpause and ensure the printer is running, then all should be fine. There isn’t really much else to it. Since the driver is there, it looks like the printer was seen/detected.

Then after that from the cups page, you can print a test page to your printer once it’s enabled and running.