How to install hp smart printer on rocky linux 9

I am trying hplip-3.23.12-RHEL9-x86_64.rpm installation from software installer but get this error. Please suggest

There is not enough information. You will need to use a terminal and attempt to install manually to get the error message.

dnf install /path/to/hplip-3.23.12-RHEL9-x86_64.rpm

However, there already is an hplip package provided in the default repos. Does this one not work for you?

# dnf info hplip
Last metadata expiration check: 0:06:35 ago on Wed 13 Dec 2023 08:51:24 AM MST.
Available Packages
Name         : hplip
Version      : 3.21.2
Release      : 6.el9
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 18 M
Source       : hplip-3.21.2-6.el9.src.rpm
Repository   : appstream
Summary      : HP Linux Imaging and Printing Project
URL          : https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing
License      : GPLv2+ and MIT and BSD and IJG and Public Domain and GPLv2+ with exceptions and ISC
Description  : The Hewlett-Packard Linux Imaging and Printing Project provides
             : drivers for HP printers and multi-function peripherals.

Thank you for your quick response. I do see

[sinhurry@localhost ~]$ dnf info hplip
Repository vivaldi is listed more than once in the configuration
Last metadata expiration check: 0:33:01 ago on Wed 13 Dec 2023 09:12:08 PM IST.
Available Packages
Name         : hplip
Version      : 3.21.2
Release      : 6.el9
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 18 M
Source       : hplip-3.21.2-6.el9.src.rpm
Repository   : appstream
Summary      : HP Linux Imaging and Printing Project
URL          : https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing
License      : GPLv2+ and MIT and BSD and IJG and Public Domain and GPLv2+ with exceptions and ISC
Description  : The Hewlett-Packard Linux Imaging and Printing Project provides
             : drivers for HP printers and multi-function peripherals.

Then what next is required to print anything is that printer name should appear in ctrl+p window. Which currently is not the case. So back to the point, I try to install it and get the above error.

I tried

[sinhurry@localhost ~]$ sudo dnf install /home/sinhurry/Downloads/hplip-3.23.12-RHEL9-x86_64.rpm
[sudo] password for sinhurry: 
Repository vivaldi is listed more than once in the configuration
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:51 ago on Wed 13 Dec 2023 09:49:46 PM IST.
Error: 
 Problem: conflicting requests
  - nothing provides libImageProcessor.so()(64bit) needed by hplipfull-3.23.12-0.x86_64 from @commandline
  - nothing provides libImageProcessor.so(VERS_1.0)(64bit) needed by hplipfull-3.23.12-0.x86_64 from @commandline
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

You downloaded an rpm, which is dependent on another package that is not available. Easier would be:

dnf install hplip

to use the one from the repositories provided by Rocky. If you want to use the one you downloaded manually from wherever you got it, then you will also need to manually download all of it’s dependencies. Using the command like I posted above, will pull in dependencies from Rocky’s repositories.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.