Can not use cockpit image builder

Hi,

I am trying to test osbuilder over cockpit. I have installed:

dnf install composer-cli cockpit-composer bash-completion

When logging in to cockpit, I can see Apps->Image Builder

When clicking it, I get the information that the service failed to start. There is not much in the logs, but I paste what was written:

-- Subject: Unit osbuild-composer.socket has begun start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: https://access.redhat.com/support
--
-- Unit osbuild-composer.socket has begun starting up.
May 10 09:24:38 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Listening on OSBuild Composer API sockets.
-- Subject: Unit osbuild-composer.socket has finished start-up
--
-- Unit osbuild-composer.socket has finished starting up.
--
-- The start-up result is done.
May 10 09:24:38 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: osbuild-worker@1.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
May 10 09:24:38 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: osbuild-worker@1.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
-- Subject: Unit failed
--
-- The unit osbuild-worker@1.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
May 10 09:24:38 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start OSBuild Composer Worker (1).

I have no idea what happens :slight_smile:

I set SELinux to permissive and rebooted. Same game again.

Thanks for any help in advance

BTW: I know its a RC :wink:

I was able to replicate the issue with a VM running Rocky. The attached screenshot shows the systemd log entry for the failure from Cockpit:

I will later try and see if I get similar issues in RHEL. Does systemd give you a similar report?

osbuilder will start fine in RHEL. I think this may be a bug, but I want to see what other people think?

Hi @chrroessner,

I have verified this works in RHEL and does not work in Rocky at the moment.

Resolution may require patches to osbuild-composer and/or osbuild upstream of Redhat to get it working in Rocky.

This search in Github…

https://github.com/osbuild/osbuild-composer/search?q=centos

…will show you some of the places osbuild-composer likely must be updated to support Rocky.

They currently support CentOS 8 Stream (not CentOS 8) so I’m not sure how long this will take to get support.

It would definitely be a good idea to file an issue against osbuild-composer and osbuild. I don’t see any there as of this moment. The devs might do little to support Rocky before it’s a full release though.

2 Likes

I have submitted the issue on the GitHub pages for osbuild and osbuild-composer. I will give updates on what they say.

2 Likes

I think that the problem is probably pretty simple to resolve. The application does not recognize the name of the distribution.

osbuild-composer[2984]: 2021/05/16 13:19:26 Could not determine distro from host: unknown distro: rocky-8

Well maybe not super simple but I guess one would start here and add a new distro here.

I have actually never used this tool myself but I happened to stumble upon this bug when I was looking around in Rocky Linux, just doing some random testing.

According to the developers on the Github page, it may be a better idea to use the ID_LIKE variable found in /etc/os-release to determine how to run osbuilder, given that Rocky isn’t the only new distro made to replace CentOS.

First of all thanks for all the answers.

Is there some way to test this with ID_LIKE? What do I have to do?

I also am seeing the same issue, composer will not run on rocky 8.4 Green Obsidian. Does anyone have a work around?

I’m encountering the same issue.
I tried with Fedora 34 and CentOS 8.4 successfully

working on os-release content is probably the right way, but not particularly ID_LIKE

Centos’ content is

NAME=“CentOS Linux”
VERSION=“8”
ID=“centos”
ID_LIKE=“rhel fedora”
VERSION_ID=“8”
PLATFORM_ID=“platform:el8”
PRETTY_NAME=“CentOS Linux 8”

Rocky’s one is :

NAME=“Rocky Linux”
VERSION=“8.4 (Green Obsidian)”
ID=“rocky”
ID_LIKE=“rhel fedora”
VERSION_ID=“8.4”
PLATFORM_ID=“platform:el8”
PRETTY_NAME=“Rocky Linux 8.4 (Green Obsidian)”

I cannot figure out how to change it for testing

does anybody knows how to do it ?

Was this problem ever resolved for Rocky Linux? This is also present for AlmaLinux, and I’m trying to see where this problem is at for RHEL clones.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.