Best way to create a custom rocky linux iso to be used in on-premise installations

Hi,
I am looking into creating a custom Rocky Linux ISO (containing some of our own rpm files and their dependencies) that will be used to create bootable USB disks which in turn will be used in on-premise installations (meaning that there is no internet access on the systems that get the ISO installed).

What would be the best way to go about it considering we have kickstart files (for customising the installation procedure) for our previous CentOS 7.x custom ISO files ?

Should I best follow the same procedure you are using to create the official Rocky Linux installations (which I have found in the sig_core/toolkit repo) ?
Or is there an easier way to create such a custom ISO (which we try to keep minimal in size) ?

Kind regards,
Thomas.

So one easy way to tackle this is to use the image builder in Cockpit. Another tool is called lorax livemedia-creator — Lorax 38.0 documentation which is what I was using to make custom AARCH64 iso’s.

1 Like

I have been working with cockpit and osbuild-composer earlier, but I got an error with both the web based and the command line tool. I am running on Rocky Linux 9.0 and the message I get is the following :

execvp /run/osbuild/lib/runners/org.osbuild.rocky: No such file or directory

Perhaps Rocky Linux 9.0 is not fully supported yet ?

I am currently using your other suggestion and testing with the livemedia creator.

Thanks

There are runners in osbuild for Rocky.

/usr/lib/osbuild/runners/org.osbuild.rocky86
/usr/lib/osbuild/runners/org.osbuild.rocky90

8.7 and 9.1 will go to rocky87 and 91.

@nazunalika - I wonder where the kickstart files can be found to generate the iso images if any?
I’d really appreciate any hints, thanks.

Rocky 8: sig_core/kickstarts - kickstarts - Rocky Enterprise Software Foundation Git Service
Rocky 9: sig_core/kickstarts - kickstarts - Rocky Enterprise Software Foundation Git Service

1 Like

It is also possible to use this tool into a qemu installation and install additional driver to use to install old poweredge server?
I need to add the driver: https://elrepo.org/linux/dud/el9/x86_64/dd-mptsas-3.04.20-2.el9_1.elrepo.iso to the ISO file because the poweredge server is too old and I can not use two device to use inst.dd.

It is enough to add the driver to the RL9 installation on qemu and after create the iso to install the old server or I need other steps?

Thanls

Thanks