What to default EDITOR in in /etc/profile?

No worries, I’ll just run “yum install nano”. It’s a must-have for me :smiley: (Yes, I still haven’t tried to figure out how “vim” works)

4 Likes

What’s a yum?

apparently i have to type more. silly forum.

1 Like

All you need to know about vim is tap ESC a few times, then : q !

That gets you out of the editor without changing anything.

Alternatively, switch to another window / virtual console and terminate the process :wink: :joy:

3 Likes

vim by default please.

export EDITOR="$(shuf -n1 -e vim nano emacs ed)"

variety is the spice of life

7 Likes

Just set it to vim, and install vim as part of the base install. Saying this because every user of these systems should at least know vim. (personally, I use joe but I’m proficient in vim and emacs as well because that’s what you end up with).

Anything else is a religious war.

etc

I think that most user-friendly distros have nano. I stick with vim because of my Unix admin background. Vim is a good standard choice.

2 Likes

6 Likes

That sounds like emacs, a decent OS that needs an editor!

1 Like

I think that in many distributions for quick editions they keep nano, in addition they also include vim or emacs for more complex things.

for my part I think that if I had to choose between vim and emacs it would be vim since it seems to me that more system administrators use it because of its proximity to vi.

(Although I personally use spacemacs, but I see that for editing system files they use more vim)

Okay I feel like the serious responses prove to me that this forum needs a “Humour” category for us to shitpost in, because these guys aren’t getting the joke lol

3 Likes

Lol, this just came across my feed.

Why not all

1 Like

I think the best editor is vim, but nano or emacs are not a bad option too

I was thinking “I think this is not a joke thread, I thought it was” while reading responses after I replied lol, good idea though.

2 Likes

@hbjy I support a humor category. We’ll definitely want one in time anyway.

@Derek, that is amazing. I didn’t know I wanted WordStar to be my default editor.

In fact, I think we should just include all the editors we can find. We can be known as the distribution that comes with ALLLLLLLL THE EDITORS.

I believe Eudora was licensed to The Computer History Museum under an open license. And I have an old Corel WordPerfect suite 6 CD-ROM; I wonder if Corel would donate the source to us?

1 Like

qEdit could be an option too :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

How about vscode? :slight_smile:

1 Like

How about Visual Studio :slight_smile: (not code)

2 Likes

Don’t you love a little flamewar now and then?.. :smiley:

Any chance of my favorite - EVE/TPU? :smiley: