What to default EDITOR in in /etc/profile?

Honestly possibly the biggest decision we will make.

Personally, my base setups symlink emacs to vim. so… I don’t really care what you set EDITOR to.

5 Likes

This was a joke by the way :wink: ) feel free to have some fun and a war though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For sure pyvim then…

1 Like

I vote for EDIT.EXE via Wine.

10 Likes

We need it to point to a shell script that downloads and compiles nano every time it gets invoked

4 Likes

Obviously emacs is the only answer

1 Like

since rockylinux is going to be a byte for byte copy of centos, the default editor can be found by looking up what’s it set to in centos.

Rob

4 Likes

Let’s have vim as the default editor.

4 Likes

we should write our own. If it delays the project, no problem, never underestimate the importance of an own editor :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Teco. The APL of text processing.

Whatever the default is, my first thing after yum update will be a yum install nano…

2 Likes

But, but, but … That makes sense. Are we allowed to be reasonable in this thread?

1 Like

Why are we not considering bundling Openbox and VSCode in the ISOs? Then, whenever someone uses $EDITOR, it opens a GUI with VS Code open to the file!

3 Likes

because it comes from the big bad antichrist.

1 Like

Many disable X11Forwarding by default which could be problematic in a remote console session. Clearly we’ll need to make sure X11Forwarding disablement is itself disabled.

2 Likes

hmzz… what’s to forward if there is no x11?

1 Like

Hi all
If we are going to stick to be as close to Red Hat / CentOS as posible lets stay with VIM
Adriaan

I didn’t think this was a serious answer thread lol.

@robb It’s X11 emulated on top of Wayland, to make your desktop environment extra spicy.

And no, everyone, this was meant as a joke thread :slight_smile:

I am certainly not going to be held responsible when someone comes looking for who suggested what I’ve suggested hahaha

1 Like

I would strongly recommend to port XCode to rockylinux so we can edit more files, not just profile.

So first things first, we need to reverse engineer this stuff.

3 Likes