Template and Customization Spec in VMware

Has anyone had any luck templating and using a cust spec in vmware with Rocky?

I deploy from a clean template, using a cust spec to change the hostname of the system, and it fails to apply each time, disconnecting the nic.

According to the logs in /var/log/vmware-imc/toolsDeployPkg.log vmware does not recognize the redhat flavor, which is understandable. Below is a screenshot of the warning bits of the message

I am assuming this is a vmware problem, but I am wondering if anyone else has ran into this or if anyone has other suggestions.

I have used rhel 8, centos8, other linux (64bit) guest os version settings on the vm itself.

If anyone is looking for a work around in the meantime, you can change /etc/redhat-release to say CentOS Linux instead of Rocky Linux in the template, be sure to change it back after deployment.

It’s definitely a VMware issue, but wanted to see if there was any Rocky official information on it.

I reached out to VMware and they said that Rocky is not currently supported, but they are evaluating it and planning on getting it added to their supported OS in the future. I am hoping with the vSphere 7 update 3 release?

VMware have finally published an official KB article on this:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86163

Looks like Rocky Linux customization is supported from vSphere 7.0 U3. If you’re on an older version, you can either try your luck with cloud-init, or turn your template into “pretend CentOS” by patching /etc/redhat-release.

Good find, thanks! We’ve been tricking vmware with the /etc/redhat-release change in our template, then changing it back after the build process. Hopefully they’ll get 7.0U3 fixed and re-released soon