[SOLVED!] Unable to get Gnome Classic for Rocky Linux Green Obsidian

Alrighty :slight_smile:
I didn’t issue the command, waiting for your reply. So will issue now and report my findings once I reboot.
Best regards!

1 Like

hello Tom,
I did issue the command - however I think I issued it thrice.
I copied the text from your message and just pasted it (using middle/scroll wheel click of my mouse) twice. basically both times the command text and the spaces around it were typed out and I wasnt sure the command had registered - as there was no output.
I am so clumsy…
Finally I actually copy pasted a single line (from the text editor) and punched enter.
No response again.
I rebooted but I am not seeing anything popping out from my desktop screen. in firefox and in the terminal. I suppose I have to look somewhere. Any clues for me where I have to or what to look for?

Thanks,

Hi,

Sorry forgot to say, there is no output from the command. You can check its their with ls (or ll) and then reboot. The full chain of commands would looks something like this:

[tom@localhost ~]$ sudo touch /forcefsck
[sudo] password for tom: 
[tom@localhost ~]$ ll /forcefsck 
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 0 Aug  5 18:28 /forcefsck
[tom@localhost ~]$ sudo reboot 0

Regards Tom.

Hi Tom,
I did this last night as you have requested. After rebooting, it did not give me anything different from regular bootup and logging into Rocky Linux.
Please tell me if there is something I need to check further - any log, or created file.

Best regards,

Hi,

I don’t think it produces any logs, it does run quite quick; if it can find any issues.

If your system is running ok now, I wouldn’t worry to much.

If you still want to explore further, the only other thing I can suggest; is run the memory test from the Rocky Install DVD/medium.

Thanks Tom.

Well then, I think I will let it be in peace for a while, as I am not facing any issues for the moment.

Thanks again Tom, you have been very wonderful.
Best regards,

1 Like

Hi nmp,

Right now I am hacking and installing 2 OS’s: Rocky Linux 8.4 and openSUSE 15.3 and am trying to make them uniform in appearance, etc., to make it easy to spot problems. It also makes life a bit weird trying to tell which of the two OS’s I am working in. Both OS’s are set up in KDE, and I figured out how to have multiple Virtual Desktops each with its own Wallpaper and each with its set set of Widgets. Both OS’s use KDE 5.18.

The “Gear” or “Cog” is a carry over from KDE, whereas GNOME has its own distinct look using the GDM (GNOME Display Manager ) menu style, but that is more a function of the DE Menu that the DE itself; thus you can have a GDM style menu (usually a white menu bar across the top of the login page and you click on if I remember right something that looks like a sheet of paper and when you do it gives you a drop down menu of all your DE) or a KDE style menu where you click on the “Gear” or “Cog” to get the drop down menu of the DE. While I still got the “Gear”/“Cog” in Rocky Linux, in openSUSE 15.3 Leap like you point out the familiar KDE Gear was totally missing; so too was the GDM bar across the top of the screen. I have multiple DE and could not access any of them… or so it seemed. Should you face this problem again look down in the lower left hand corner of the screen and you will see something that says Virtual Keyboard and next to that something that says Desktop Session followed by a DE and a arrow pointing down. Click on the Desktop Session and it will give you a drop down menu that reveals all the DE you have installed.

Nor do the changes stop there – what FUN is there in that? – recently rebooted my CentOS 7.9 Workstation and instead of getting my bright, color infused login screen, with the GDM topline menu, I was greeted with a CentOS 7 “Daylight” screen, and a list of all the users with a white dot by each users name. I have no idea where my custom login screen went nor how might I change from say KDE => Cinnamon. Well if you click on the actual “Dot” it will give you the familiar drop down menu with all the DE you can choose from.

Hope this helps.

D’Cat