Rocky Linux flatpak app crashes

I’ve installed application from flatpak called “Gwyddion”. It starts normally but after choosing option “Display a 3D view of data” application crashes.

What causes such a problem? I can attach additional information if they are required to solve the problem. Thank you for help.

Their website says that the software is primarily developed on Fedora.

This suggests that it may not be too difficult to create a native rpm for Rocky.

Have you tried downloading their source archive and compiling it on Rocky? They have instructions for doing that posted right there on their download page.

You need to contact the Gwyddion support for this. Rocky Linux does not distribute Gwyddion and we cannot support software that we don’t distribute.

There is flatpak for Rocky Linux. I think the problem comes from missing libraries in Rocky Linux or maybe Rocky Linux does not allow to access Gwyddion to some libraries, i. e. problem with permission in flatpak?

Trying to build I get:

[pawel@computer]$ rpmbuild -tb gwyddion-2.62.tar.xz
sh: line 1: /usr/bin/python2: No such file or directory
setting SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH=1502150400
error: Failed build dependencies:
	pkgconfig(OpenEXR) is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pkgconfig(cfitsio) is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pkgconfig(gtksourceview-2.0) is required by przez gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pkgconfig(jansson) is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pkgconfig(libwebp) is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pkgconfig(unique-1.0) is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pygtk2-devel >= 2.10 is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	rubypick is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64

That is telling you that you are missing the dependencies to compile the program.

The solution is to install them first, then do the compiling.

It may be a simple matter of installing existing rpms or you may have to compile some of the rpms yourself as well. I’ve found that compiling Fedora rpms usually works fairly well, for certain values of usually. Which means that when it works it’s pretty simple and when it doesn’t it can rapidly become more painful than the result is worth.

But try installing the dependencies and see what happens. You have nothing to lose but your sanity. :slight_smile:

It means that I have to install python2? Does it may cause troubles, I mean packages conflict with python3 libs? Python 3 is preinstalled on Rocky Linux 9.

Hey there, sorry to hear that you’re experiencing issues with the Gwyddion flatpak app on Rocky Linux. I actually have the same issue and was searching for a solution when I came across your post.

Nice to hear that I’m not alone with this issue. I’ll be very grateful for sharing the solution if you find one.
Have you tried to install python2 libraries to solve the problem?

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the whole idea about flatpak was that the app is all self-contained including whatever dependencies it needs.

Downloading for example, an RPM of the same package would rely on the distro’s dependencies being installed as well.

Although I’m happy to be corrected if my assumption on this is wrong :slight_smile:

Since this program apparently crashes when it’s told to show stuff in 3d (and not, I guess, when it does the same job in 2d) there’s probably something missing that’s supposed to talk to the video driver. That’s why I suggested that the user should look into compiling a rpm on his own, since that would (hopefully) either expose or install the required whatever-it-is to do the 3d.

Here is link to build dependencies: http://gwyddion.net/documentation/user-guide-en/installation-dependencies.html
There is info that GtkGLExt is required for OpenGL 3D data views. I have it already installed.

Have you installed all of those dependencies and compiled the rpm?

If yes, and it still doesn’t work, then there’s something wrong with the program or a missing dependency which you’ll have to take up with the folks who wrote the program since they’re in a better position to know what it requires than we are here.

Trying to compile the rpm, I get:

[pawel@computer]$ rpmbuild -tb gwyddion-2.62.tar.xz
sh: line 1: /usr/bin/python2: No such file or directory
setting SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH=1502150400
error: Failed build dependencies:
	pkgconfig(OpenEXR) is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pkgconfig(cfitsio) is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pkgconfig(gtksourceview-2.0) is required by przez gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pkgconfig(jansson) is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pkgconfig(libwebp) is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pkgconfig(unique-1.0) is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	pygtk2-devel >= 2.10 is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64
	rubypick is required by gwyddion-2.62-1.el9.x86_64

What should I do with this?

Those are dependencies that you will have to install before compiling the program.

If they already exist in a el9 repo (I have no idea if they do or they don’t) then it’s a simple matter of installing each one using “dnf install whatever”.

If they aren’t already in an el9 repo then you’ll have to compile and install the dependencies yourself before compiling the program. I have personally had a reasonable amount of success doing that sort of thing by compiling the corresponding Fedora source rpms into native el rpms and installing those. Sometimes there’s almost literally nothing to it, sometimes you can get sucked into a zork-ish maze of interlocking dependencies that may (or may not) be more work than it’s worth to resolve. The only way to find out which it will be is to try it and see what happens. FAFO, as they say. :slight_smile:

Hey there, sorry to hear that you’re experiencing issues with the Gwyddion flatpak app on Rocky Linux. I actually have the same issue and was searching for a solution when I came across your post. I recently switched back to Linux after using CentOS 7 for a while and I’ve been trying out different distros to see which one works best for me. As for the Gwyddion app crashing, I’m not sure what’s causing it, but it’s possible that you may need to install python2. However, that could potentially cause conflicts with python3 libraries, so it’s worth being cautious. BTW, I think it might be interesting to you too. I recently discovered that CentOS 7 reached its end of life and won’t be receiving updates anymore. However, there are options for extended support if you’re interested. Here’s a link to some info I found: https://tuxcare.com/extended-lifecycle-support/centos-7-extended-support/ .