Rocky Linux as daily driver

Hi folks,
I just installed Rocky Linux. I have used many distros but these were not stable. but now that i look at the forum and all the documentation i wonder if i’m on the right track.

Can use rocky linux as my default desktop for study? or is it mainly suitable for servers?

Yes (for some definition of “for study”).

We’ve had CentOS workstations for a decade or so. There might not be all bells and whistles, but IMHO, there is enough.

1 Like

Hi,
I use CentOS 7, and now Rocky 8, as my daily basis for my default desktop since the end of 2014.
I am also used to managing some COPR projects, to add or update what is missing for my personal needs.

2 Likes

I used to run CentOS as a desktop for a long time before going to Fedora (around CentOS 7’s release). It’s usable and there are plenty of folks out there that do.

If there are special things you want, there is always flatpaks and stuff from epel and rpmfusion that can help you along the way.

1 Like

I had been using Fedora workstation for years, and then the upgrade from Fedora 33 to 34 bricked the OS.
I wanted something more stable and long term supported and switched to Rocky Linux.
I am very happy with it as a desktop / workstation.
Much thanks and kudos to the developers of RL!

1 Like

I don’t know I have never used any other version of Linux except RedHat, CentOS and Rocky.

1 Like

I’ve ran Scientific Linux 7 as a desktop for a while, eventually I ran into issues with strange glitches in games and some not working properly. I later then switched to Ubuntu and those same games ran fine without issues so I believe it was because of RHEL clones shipping with older libraries and software that they aren’t the best gaming platforms. Although I am running all my gaming on Fedora using Flatpaks for Steam and Lutris, rungs great! I would have liked to try that with Rocky but since I have gotten used to having btrfs as my filesystem, I really don’t want to run a distribution on my desktop without btrfs and unfortunately btrfs hasn’t made it to RHEL and I don’t know if it ever will.

Btrfs was a tech preview in RHEL 6 and early RHEL 7, but was dropped. See Chapter 4. Btrfs Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 | Red Hat Customer Portal and Red Hat banishes Btrfs from RHEL • The Register

The glorious “Return of the BTRFS” seems very unlikely plot for a sequel at this point.

That’s too bad because it’s actually a good filesystem for a desktop and a workstation and could be useful for some server use cases. And I’m not getting the idea Stratis is really getting big and you can’t even setup Stratis from within the Anaconda installer to use it to install your system on, which is kind of disappointing since it seemed Stratis was Redhat’s answer to btrfs(I think, since I haven’t really used it only read about it?).