RHEL + clones vs. Debian/Ubuntu market share in professional context

Hi microlinux
I am working with Linux in Enterprise market and have worked around 10 companies so for. My personal experince is like that

Companies which are willing to pay money or want big vendor name or Support behind it , go for RHEL
Rest of companies which don’t want to pay money go for Centos ( now shifted to Rocky Linux ) or few companies which have close bonding with Oracle , go for Oracle Linux.

I hardly managed 2,3 Ubuntu servers during this

Not always. some companies that want to pay also pay for SUSE or perhaps commercial Ubuntu support. If they don’t pay, it’s not always CentOS/Rocky/Alma, it could be Debian or Ubuntu without support, or OpenSUSE. I’ve even seen Fedora Server used.

A lot of this also depends on the people usually managing it. I’ve had colleagues that are solely Debian/Ubuntu based, and get lost if they try other distributions. I tend to be distro agnostic in that I’m at home with any of the aforementioned distros. But that’s because I like playing with a lot of different distros to expand my knowledge.

Other things it depends on is what you are attempting to achieve and run. Some distros have a package in their repositories that might not exist for say RHEL or EPEL. In which case it’s easy enough to use that particular distro than lose time building and maintaining packages.

I tend to go with “use the best tool for the job/task in hand”.

I’m a long time RH user, going back to 5.2, before Fedora. I tried Fedora through version 2 on my servers only to find I had to upgrade the OS every 6 months. So I switched to CentOS and am now running 7 on my servers. The next server will likely run Rocky 9.

I just started playing with Raspberry Pi and its OS is Debian-based. I’m finding much that is very familiar, including systemd.OTOH, many things are different, such as the apt-based packaging system. The DHCP client is dhcpcd instead of ISC’s retired dhclient.