I’m running Rocky Linux 8.7 with EPEL’s KDE on my main workstation, and everything works fine… except one little detail that’s nagging me. K3B can’t seem to handle audio projects. Whenever I start an audio project and click on Burn, K3B stops short and nothing happens. Sometimes I can’t even close the window and I have to
kill -9 it.
A peek in
/var/log/messages shows this, I don’t know if it’s the culprit:
Feb 1 08:49:46 alphamule k3b: QIODevice::seek (K3b::AudioTrackReader): The device is not open
Feb 1 08:49:47 alphamule k3b: QIODevice::seek (K3b::AudioTrackReader): The device is not open
What’s even weirder, I have a sandbox machine in my office with a (what seems to be) identical installation of Rocky Linux with KDE, and on this machine, burning audio projects with K3B works perfectly. So I thought it was a hardware error. I swapped the DVD/RW devices, and I got the same result.
I’m puzzled and clueless.
I just booted a KDE Neon LiveCD on my workstation, ran it in live mode (plenty of RAM so no problem), installed K3B and a handful of other apps for testing purposes and gave burning a spin. The good news is that it’s not a hardware problem. Audio playlists with
.flac files can be written to CD correctly.
So it looks like EPEL’s K3B is the culprit.
I built a more recent K3B from a Fedora SRPM, and still got the same problem.
In the end I just wiped K3B from my hard disk and replaced it with Brasero. Somehow I hated doing this since I’m not exactly a friend of GNOME. Fortunately it’s one of the rare GNOME applications that doesn’t pull in the whole GNOME kitchen sink, only a handful of dependencies for handling burning and playlists.
Things work perfectly now, so problem solved. Sort of.
On a side note, it’s a bit sad since I’ve been using K3B for the last twenty years or so, and it’s always been one of KDE’s must-have applications.
It’s funny you should say this, I had a similar situation, albeit the other way around. Linux Mint I think with Brasero kept failing and crashing on me, destroying disks as well when I attempted to make them. And switched to K3B.
That said, I believe I had issues with K3B and audio when I was missing some dependencies. I did fix it, but I cannot remember what audio dependencies it needed. It was a long time ago when I experienced this. Perhaps that one particular install is missing an audio package that is required for K3B and it’s audio projects. The only thing I can suggest, would be to compare your installed packages between the machine that works, and the one that doesn’t.
Sorry I cannot remember exactly what I did in a similar situation, this must be like 6 - 10 years ago, so hope that might help a little bit at least.