Installing VMware Player fails

I am attempting to install VMware Player Full-16.2.4 on Rocky 9.1. I have the GCC installed along with the kernel headers, but it keeps failing with the following:

make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:295: /tmp/modconfig-ahDReW/vmnet-only/userif.o] Error 1
In(05) host-1236460 make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:295: /tmp/modconfig-ahDReW/vmnet-only/hub.o] Error 1
host-1236460 make[1]: *** [Makefile:1915: /tmp/modconfig-ahDReW/vmnet-only] Error 2
host-1236460 make: *** [Makefile:117: vmnet.ko] Error 2
host-1236460 Unable to install all modules. See log for details.

The log file shows multiple errors like this:
undefined symbol: _ZN4Glib10spawn_syncERKSsRKNS_11ArrayHandleISsNS_17Container_Helpers10TypeTraitsISsEEEENS_10SpawnFlagsERKN4sigc4slotIvNSA_3nilESC_SC_SC_SC_SC_SC_EEPSsSG_Pi (/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwareui.so/libvmwareui.so)

I am attempting to migrate my last Centos 7 to Rocky Linux, but this would be a show stopper.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Hello @egurski ,

Full disclosure, I’ve not tried this, however, did you look at this?

Hi you two!

I’m using VMware Workstation (previously 16) 17 on Rocky 9.1, and that’s an issue on the VMware side, they have to update their kernel modules to be compatible with the latest EL9 kernel.

But there is a workaround: GitHub - mkubecek/vmware-host-modules: Patches needed to build VMware (Player and Workstation) host modules against recent kernels

If you use the patched kernel module from mkubecek’s repo it will work :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for solution. I have run into these issues before on Fedora and Centos, but thought that VMware would have corrected their errors. I will work on this late and let you know.

Thanks again

1 Like