Installation Source error

When trying to install Rocky Linux 8 on Dell Precission laptop from a bootable USB created following the instructions How To Create Bootable USB Drive Using dd Command I get Installation Source Error setting up base repository.
It can’t find the auto-detected installation media as shown in the installation guide, and when activating the network - don’t have the closest mirror option.
All and any help appreciated
Thanks

Hey there @allon - what ISO are you using?

Hi Neil, the iso file I’m using is Rocky-8.4-x86_64-boot.iso

-rw-r–r–. 1 abartana dev 754974720 Jun 20 18:39 Rocky-8.4-x86_64-boot.iso

1 Like

Hi @allon -

As @tjdoyle linked in his post, the solution here would be to fill in the following to use for the Installation source:

https://download.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/8/BaseOS/x86_64/os/

Similarly, you could use any other mirror, including a locally copied one.

If you use media other than the boot media (DVD or Minimal) you wouldn’t need to add this in. We are looking into how we can supply the mirrorlist directly to the ISO for future builds.

Please let me know if you need any more help!

Best,
Neil

3 Likes

Hi Neil,
The link worked and I was able to complete the install.

Many thanks for your help.
Allon

I tried three different versions of the packages with right checksum, liveISO, DVD and some one, and I used the dd and balena method. But I always got an Installation Source Error. But when I downloaded Alma once, it just installed. I don’t know how you achieve this strange effect, but something needs to be done.

@allon

head over to https://rockylinux.org/download/

chose x86_64 or ARM64, usually all windows pc/laptop comes with X86_64
then choose DVD or Torrent which contains more or less 8 gb ISO,
then flash it with Rufus or Balena etcher.
make sure USB is atleast 16gb in size.

I managed to solve this problem by adding the .iso file of the Rocky installation to the root of the pendrive.
Then you can choose the .iso file as source and continue with the installation.
In summary, I have made a bootable pendrive with rufus and added the iso used in the root.