Going past the install

Many websites explain Basic Install, and I have 8.5 Workstation installed.
Now I would like it to work with my compute nodes.
How do I get there from here ? I don’t work with VM’s.

You have computers and those computers have Rocky. What do you expect the “work with” to be?
Administration? Running programs? Running “distributed jobs”?

I would like the Master node to load the Compute nodes with the OS.
I don’t know the functions of the many commands found on Rocky.
I tried from “root”, “insert-ethers”, bash said “Command not found. . .”

True, the “Red Hat family” of distros have different conventions than, say Debian-based distros. I, for one, don’t recall ever hearing of “insert-ethers”.
As result, all Linux documentation on inet does not apply. Furthermore, RHEL major releases are far apart and do differ – also on commands.
To make it worse, blogs released soon after release of RHEL/CentOS 8 – the authors often show what they believe to work even though they are using “old ways” rather than new idioms.

The most comprehensive and on topic documentation is naturally by Red Hat for RHEL 8:

The main difference to Rocky is that RHEL has “subscription”-based repositories. Therefore, all documented RHEL procedures do not apply to Rocky (and other RHEL rebuilds).

Another challenge is the amount of documentation. How to find the bit that talks about the very thing you want to achieve? They do describe more than one method for each task too.

One method that they seem to add documentation about is Ansible. Ansible, Chef, and Puppet are some of configuration management systems. You describe desired config in their syntax and then these tools can deploy/apply the config to any number of systems. More systematic, automatic, and you have logical copy of choices that you can reapply. (Say, system burns to ashes and you buy new. You can’t read from ashes what you did in the old system, so you need external copy anyway.)

Network settings are configured and managed (during boot and runtime) by NetworkManager.service (NM) in Rocky. There are multiple tools to interact with NM. Some “Gnome applet”, nmtui, nmcli, and the config management systems too.

The default connection config by NM does use DHCP. It should be natural to configure DHCP server in your subnet to supply each client with appropriate values.

Hey @Optonparty

I didn’t understand what you are talking about at all. But a web search for insert-ethers has shed some light. Okay, ehh… I guess there was a misunderstanding at your side… :slight_smile:

You’re probably searching support for dealing with ROCKS.
Unfortunately, this here is the forums section of ROCKY LINUX.

Rocky Linux has nothing to do with ROCKS (www.rocksclusters.org).

For ROCKS support, go this way please:

Regards, Thomas

1 Like

Ahh, now I did web search that “insert-ethers” – seems to be a config management system for ROCKS clusters.

I actually have some compute clusters – CentOS 7 with SLURM – and manage those with … Ansible.

Thank you for the heads up on this. Google inserted “Rocks” in my search for “Rocky”.
This information will greatly point me in the right direction in seeking advice.

Wow ! That “Red Hat” link is fantastic. It will provide me plenty of reading to add to my education on “Rocky Linux”. I hope others stumbling through the internet find this post,
and find this marvelous starting point. Thank you repeatedly.