USB Wifi Adapter for Rocky Linux 9

Can anyone suggest a USB wifi adapter that will work with Rocky Linux 9?

What sort of features do you need? Normal use, or do you need things like monitor mode and packet injection?

Just a basic adapter that will allow me to connect to the wifi network in my home.

I found some recommendations at USB-WiFi/USB_WiFi_Adapters_that_are_supported_with_Linux_in-kernel_drivers.md at main · morrownr/USB-WiFi · GitHub. The overall advice seems to be to use something based off the mt7612u chipset, a few of which are listed in the first section of USB-WiFi/The_Short_List.md at main · morrownr/USB-WiFi · GitHub.

By the way, if you happen to have a free PCI slot, I’d strongly recommend slapping an Intel wifi card in there instead of using a USB adapter.

I’m still on 8.7 but I imagine this is still relevant:

ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/
then you might go to
ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
and then possibly to
ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek
and
ls -l /lib/modules/4.18.0-425.3.1.el8.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl8xxxu
where u’d find
rtl8xxxu.ko.xz
and do
modinfo rtl8xxxu.ko.xz
to get

filename:       /lib/modules/4.18.0-425.3.1.el8.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl8xxxu/rtl8xxxu.ko.xz
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8723bu_bt.bin
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8723bu_nic.bin
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8192eu_nic.bin
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_B.bin
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_A.bin
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_B_NoBT.bin
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_B.bin
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_A.bin
license:        GPL
description:    RTL8XXXu USB mac80211 Wireless LAN Driver
author:         Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@gmail.com>
rhelversion:    8.7

which’d give you something to go on.

I seem to recall having issues with my wifi dongle last I used it - had to turn off, unplug, replug, turn on etc. Kept it on a usb extension for easy access and positioning for signal (just a cheap dongle / no aerial).

Also, issues with usb generally though that could be old tech/ usb2/3 mixes and might be KDE related although similar stories online eg. usb keyboard/mouse issues (jamming/repeating) while copying large files or if plug phone in on one usb bus but no issues if plug it in on another. So I think usb is generally a bit buggy in some configs at least and I’d go the PCI route if available.

There’s also a page @ eLinux, with tested usb/wifi adapters: https://www.elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

/* For RPi though, but still a useful page. */