Rocky Linux 9 XRDP use gnome-classic

Hello, we are testing Rocky 9 where I used to use Centos 7. All is looking okay apart from i am having problems making XRDP use gnome-classic desktop environment - it defaults to later gnome desktop. I have trawled through google and have tried various different things but not having any luck. Wondering if anyone else has tried this and found a way to make it work ?

thanks in advance,

Update, i have managed to find a way of doing this… i added the following line in /etc/bashrc at the top -:

export GNOME_SHELL_SESSION_MODE=classic

Restarted xrdp service and i now have the gnome-classic desktop in xrdp.

Would you happen to know if this would work for Mate desktop? The XRDP/Remote Desktop doesn’t show the logon screen to pick an alternate desktop.
Tks, Jeff…

This might not be the best way, but I use ~/.xsession to force XRDP to start an XFCE session. For MATE, you’d want your .xsession contents to be:

mate-session

or

dbus-launch mate-session

Note that .xsession needs to be executable.

XRDP also looks for a user controlled window manager script (typically ~/startwm.sh – look for the UserWindowManager settings in /etc/xrdp/sesman.ini). This may be a better option than ~/.xsession if you also use the GUI locally.

Dude, you rock! The .xsession option works fine. I’m running it on a racked up server in my basement so I don’t need to run on the local machine. Tks for the quick response, I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to figure that out.

Jeff…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.