Rocky 9.2 GUI- difference between "gnome-classic" and "gnome-classic-xorg"?

Hi-

/usr/share/xsessions:

What is difference between “gnome-classic” and “gnome-classic-xorg”?
echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
is X11 for both
(using Nvidia video card)

Any thoughts? Thank you.

They are text files, so you could see the differences with:

diff /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-classic*

The files gnome.desktop and gnome-xorg.desktop are identical.

All *.desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions/ are for X11 – the Wayland configs are in /usr/share/wayland-sessions/

Thank you for the info. Yes, I diffed those file already. My question is- when I chose gnome-classic.desktop (not gnome.desktop) or gnome-classic-xorg.desktop for my desktop from /usr/share/xsessions/from the login screen, what is the difference? Why are both offered if they are identical?

Also- how do I get the option to boot to a wayland session? The tool icon in the login screen only lists the /usr/share/xsessions/ options. Is this due to NVIDIA card/drivers (latest) being incompatible with wayland?

I don’t know. Apparently GDM does something fancy: Reddit - Dive into anything

NVidia’s drivers – at least initially – did not support Wayland. The installation of driver probably adds WaylandEnable=false to config of GDM so that GDM does not run on Wayland nor offer any Wayland sessions. Again, I don’t know whether one can already re-enable Wayland – I had Zoom crash Nouveau+Wayland, so haven’t had inspiration to check latest developments (as long as X11 “lives”).

ok thank you! this is beyond obscure. i wish someone would bother to properly document this.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.