Rocky Linux 8.6, Hyper-V and KDE

I’ve tried a bunch of different how-to pages on the internet with my latest script looking like this:

sudo dnf -y install epel-release
sudo dnf -y config-manager --set-enabled powertools
sudo dnf -y --enablerepo=epel,powertools group install "KDE Plasma Workspaces" "base-x"
sudo dnf -y install gdm
sudo systemctl start gdm
sudo systemctl enable gdm
sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target
sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="video=hyperv_fb:1440x900"
sudo reboot

This, and all other variations end up with the same result: A Hyper-V Connection with a black screen. All I can do is move the mouse around. Any suggestions where I might look next?

Cheers.

After the installation sddm will run by default. Unfortunately there is a bug in the kernel in 8.6, sddm does not work: 2082719 – kernel-4.18.0-358.el8.x86_64 doing strange things to sddm on centos stream 8

Do the following:

sudo systemctl disable sddm
sudo systemctl enable gdm
sudo reboot

Or force gdm when enabling it the first time:

sudo systemctl enable gdm --force

That did it! Thanks very much olista.

Here’s my final script in case it helps others:

sudo dnf -y install epel-release
sudo dnf -y config-manager --set-enabled powertools
sudo dnf -y --enablerepo=epel,powertools group install "KDE Plasma Workspaces" "base-x"
sudo dnf -y update
sudo dnf -y install gdm
sudo systemctl disable sddm
sudo systemctl enable gdm --force
sudo systemctl set-default graphical
sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="video=hyperv_fb:1440x900"
sudo reboot

Hi @Martin1, There are problems with KDE using gdm on 8.6 too - the bug mentions 2 problems; the blank screen seen with sdm and not being able to unlock a locked desktop with gdm.

Hi @bobar, I’ve just tested this in my VM and, as you pointed out, I cannot unlock a locked desktop. I can live without locking screens in my VM but thanks for the heads-up.