Rocky 9 vault question

Good day,

Here is the rub- 9.2 is causing a lot of issues for me. With RHEL you can set your version to subscription manager since Rocky does not do that we need a way to stay away from 9.2 for now. Rocky does have a vault so pointed all the repo’s to the vault. Now the question is since we have our repos pointed at 9.1 if a security or a patch that is only for 9.1 will it be sent to the vault?

This could fall under dev also

As 9.1 is no longer supported, it will not receive updates. No updates will be pushed or be available there.

That is such a small window, Thank you for the info. When 9.3 comes out in November 9.2 will go into the vault then.

Yep, that’s correct. The minor version package updates are relatively small jumps, at least by the standards of most Linux distros. Many Rocky (and RHEL) users don’t even notice them, as dnf update will take you automatically to 9.1 → 9.2 → 9.3 → etc. by default.

The Rocky project doesn’t have the resources or developers available to backport fixes into previous minor releases - it’s a lot of work, and that work would multiply with each new release.

It’s probably worth exploring what about the transition to 9.2 is breaking your setup? It’s likely a fixable issue, or at the very least you can hold a couple of breaking packages back while the rest of the system is on the latest 9.2.

1 Like

its somewhere between the kernel and NetworkManager… used 9.1 kernel and still seeing the same traffic issues… Normal users will not notice, small things like that. where I am seeing 3rd party issues, or kernel limitations.

I noticed the Kernel issue in a few other applications that I use on my servers, 160 packages were updated from 9.1 to 9.2 with a minimal install its hard to troubleshoot with that many changes

Well that sounds a little vague to troubleshoot, unfortunately. Are there programs that worked before but aren’t working now? Or maybe network performance is measurably slower in some way? Perhaps there’s some entries under /var/log that indicate a problem?

In the case of kernel, rollback is trivial: The system should keep previous Linux kernels available for rollback. All you need to do is select the older one in the boot menu (grub) when the list comes up. No need to change any software or packages.

Other than that, troubleshooting requires some concrete, measurable problem (error message, crash, performance issue, etc.) that needs to be fixed.