Rocky 8.8 - unable EXFAT formatting

Hello
I have followed the instructions in the thread below .
https://forums.rockylinux.org/t/exfat-file-system-support/3869
EXFAT formatted disk mount fine but I cannot format them in the disk utility. I get an error message even if the option is offered.
When I do the command below, I cannot see exfat.

cat /proc/filesystems | grep -v nodev
	fuseblk
	ufsd
	xfs
	squashfs
	vfat

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?
Thank you

dnf info exfatprogs

Last metadata expiration check: 2:41:02 ago on Fri 20 Oct 2023 06:58:33 AM CDT.
Available Packages
Name : exfatprogs
Version : 1.2.1
Release : 1.el8
Architecture : x86_64
Size : 87 k
Source : exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.src.rpm
Repository : epel
Summary : Userspace utilities for exFAT filesystems
URL : GitHub - exfatprogs/exfatprogs: exFAT filesystem userspace utilities
License : GPLv2
Description : Utilities for formatting and repairing exFAT filesystems.

Thank you
I have just reinstalled the above and it does not work … But I just realized that I also have running the Paragon NTFS to Linux plugin … which might have an impact.

Worked fine for me on a USB flash stick passed through to a QEMU/KVM virtual machine running Rocky-8.

what happens when you use mkfs.exfat directly on the usb/disk device

regards peter

Formatting the unpartitioned device with exfat seems to work within Linux, but Windows doesn’t accept that device and actually corrupts that exfat filesystem just by examining the device.
I did run into a problem with mount.exfat not recognizing that the device was already mounted when, unknown to me, automount had already mounted the device elsewhere. Multiple simultaneous mounts of the same filesystem is a good way to cause corruption.
I’m not really using exfat for anything, so there could well be other bugs that I have not noticed.

Quite a lot of google results for windows exfat corrupts usb. I would say the problem here is Windows.

Some mornings, I have revelations … today was such a morning

I was getting the error above … (Yes it does have an indication to the solution that has worked for me.)
I decided to install anything I could find in dnf with exfat

sudo dnf install exfat*
Last metadata expiration check: 1 day, 3:09:43 ago on sam. 28 oct. 2023 08:12:38 CEST.
Package exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64 is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
================================================================================
 Package         Arch       Version            Repository                  Size
================================================================================
Installing:
 exfat-utils     x86_64     1.3.0-3.el8        rpmfusion-free-updates      68 k

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total download size: 68 k
Installed size: 241 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
exfat-utils-1.3.0-3.el8.x86_64.rpm              489 kB/s |  68 kB     00:00    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                           362 kB/s |  68 kB     00:00     
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
Error: Transaction test error:
  file /usr/sbin/exfatlabel from install of exfat-utils-1.3.0-3.el8.x86_64 conflicts with file from package exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64
  file /usr/sbin/fsck.exfat from install of exfat-utils-1.3.0-3.el8.x86_64 conflicts with file from package exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64
  file /usr/sbin/mkfs.exfat from install of exfat-utils-1.3.0-3.el8.x86_64 conflicts with file from package exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64
  file /usr/share/man/man8/exfatlabel.8.gz from install of exfat-utils-1.3.0-3.el8.x86_64 conflicts with file from package exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64
  file /usr/share/man/man8/fsck.exfat.8.gz from install of exfat-utils-1.3.0-3.el8.x86_64 conflicts with file from package exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64
  file /usr/share/man/man8/mkfs.exfat.8.gz from install of exfat-utils-1.3.0-3.el8.x86_64 conflicts with file from package exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64

And I get a conflict error between exfat-utils & exfatprogs. I uninstall exfatprogs

sudo dnf remove exfatprogs*
Modular dependency problem:

Problem: conflicting requests
  - nothing provides module(httpd:2.4) needed by module php:7.2:8040020210530192442:02bae935.x86_64
  - nothing provides module(nginx) needed by module php:7.2:8040020210530192442:02bae935.x86_64
Dependencies resolved.
================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                     Architecture                            Version                                       Repository                              Size
================================================================================================================================================================================
Removing:
 exfatprogs                                  x86_64                                  1.2.1-1.el8                                   @epel                                  287 k

Transaction Summary
Remove  1 Package

Freed space: 287 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                                                                                                                        1/1 
  Erasing          : exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64                                                                                                                          1/1 
  Running scriptlet: exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64                                                                                                                          1/1 
  Verifying        : exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64                                                                                                                          1/1 

Removed:
  exfatprogs-1.2.1-1.el8.x86_64                                                                                                                                                 

I then installled

sudo dnf install exfat-utils

And HOORAH … I can now format in exfat.
Therefore exfatprogs does not work for me.
I hope this helps other newbies like me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.