No login promt after boot in 8.5

Hi all, I’m new here, great project.

Trying to boot 8.5 in qemu VM after 8.4 to 8.5 update, boot process freezes randomly not showing the login promt but machine seems ok and functional via ssh.

No window manager installed and running 8.4 from grub there are no issues with the login prompt.

The same behavior in other pc with a fresh 8.5 installation in other qemu VM instance.

journalctl boot log seems ok, any ideas?

Freezing capture;

Similar issue in the Qemu/KVM Virtual Machines of ProxmoxVE for both pve version 6.4 and 7.1.
I have tested both Centos 8.5 and Rocky 8.5, no matter fresh install or update from 8.4, it will freezing like this,

the qemu version:

root@pve:~# kvm --version
QEMU emulator version 6.1.0 (pve-qemu-kvm_6.1.0)
Copyright (c) 2003-2021 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers

Hi berlin, thanks for the info

I’m running QEMU in Archlinux:

qemu-system-x86_64 --version
QEMU emulator version 6.2.0

Hi,

The problem seems to be related with the video card emulated, 8.5 boots as expected setting up “-vga std” instead “-vga vmware” I usually set.

"qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2048 -smp 2 -vga std /route/to/rocky.qcow2"

Other video modes from qemu man:

-vga type
              Select type of VGA card to emulate. Valid values for type are

cirrus Cirrus Logic GD5446 Video card. All Windows versions starting from Windows 95 should recognize and use this graphic card.
                     For  optimal  performances,  use  16 bit color depth in the guest and the host OS. (This card was the default before QEMU
                     2.2)

std    Standard VGA card with Bochs VBE extensions. If your guest OS supports the VESA 2.0 VBE extensions (e.g. Windows XP)  and
                     if  you  want  to  use high resolution modes (>= 1280x1024x16) then you should use this option. (This card is the default
                     since QEMU 2.2)

vmware VMWare SVGA-II compatible adapter. Use it if you have sufficiently recent XFree86/XOrg server or  Windows  guest  with  a
                     driver for this card.

qxl    QXL  paravirtual  graphic  card. It is VGA compatible (including VESA 2.0 VBE support). Works best with qxl guest drivers
                     installed though. Recommended choice when using the spice protocol.

tcx    (sun4m only) Sun TCX framebuffer. This is the default framebuffer for sun4m machines and offers  both  8-bit  and  24-bit
                     colour depths at a fixed resolution of 1024x768.

cg3    (sun4m  only)  Sun  cgthree framebuffer. This is a simple 8-bit framebuffer for sun4m machines available in both 1024x768
                     (OpenBIOS) and 1152x900 (OBP) resolutions aimed at people wishing to run older Solaris versions.

virtio Virtio VGA card.

none   Disable VGA card.