Nis on Rocky/RHEL 9

FWIW, I just got ypbind running on a RHEL9 system, built from the current linux-nis.org sources, with --prefix=/usr/local.

We’re in the process of moving our HPC cluster name service from NIS to campus AD/LDAP. We haven’t been using NIS for password hashes, so haven’t been as concerned about security. It is fast…

But, we wanted to get an app-build/test environment up quickly for our user services folks to use, so ypbind to the existing service seemed the quick way to go.

The only thing that didn’t work with the generic “–prefix=/usr/local” was ypbind. It’s configure failed. I set PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR to /usr/local, and NSL_CFLAGS to pick up rpc.h from /usr/include/tirpc.

1 Like

I had a similar requirement - I just used the following Fedora 36 RPMS:

ypbind-2.7.2-8.fc36.x86_64.rpm
yp-tools-4.2.3-12.fc36.x86_64.rpm
nss_nis-3.1-11.fc36.x86_64.rpm

Install and work fine on Rocky 9

1 Like

Yes. We have a different kind of “fast” setup: Ansible. Ansible playbook creates local accounts in each node of (slurm) HPC cluster. We only need to rerun the play when data (i.e. config) changes. Not very often.

The login nodes are either on “campus AD/LDAP”, or authentication uses SSH keypairs. (Local) accounts have no passwords set at all.

(Before Ansible we did use LDAP and before that NIS. That was a long time ago.)

I’m trying to do something similar but are you still using fedora 36? The packages I find are for 37, 38 or 39.

I happened to use the NIS RPMS from Fedora 36 - as that was the latest available at the time

It looks like the same RPMS available with Fedora 37 and 38 will install OK on Rocky 9 (there doesn’t appear to be any differences with these RPMS between these versions of Fedora) - the RPMS for Fedora 39 won’t install on Rocky 9 (needs a more recent version of glibc)

The Fedora 36 RPMS are available via https://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/36/

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.