Minimum RAM changed?

Has the minimum RAM changed for 8.5? I thought it was 2GB but when I try to kickstart with 2G it fails with all sorts of dm-0 I/O errors. With 3GB it works fine.

Hello @MCastelein

check this one

it depend on way of installation and system configurations
also check the note below the table

It is possible to complete the installation with less memory than the recommended minimum requirements. The exact requirements depend on your environment and installation path. It is recommended that you test various configurations to determine the minimum required RAM for your environment. Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux using a Kickstart file has the same recommended minimum RAM requirements as a standard installation. However, additional RAM may be required if your Kickstart file includes commands that require additional memory, or write data to the RAM disk. See the Performing an advanced RHEL installation document for more information.

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

I run Rocky Linux on an Acer netbook with either 512mb or 1gb of ram. Can’t remember offhand whether it’s 512mb or 1gb but it’s one or the other.

It doesn’t break any speed records, obviously, but for what I use that particular machine for it works fine. :slight_smile:

Sounds like it’s going to be specific to Kickstart. Used to work with the first release but since updating the PXE server with 8.5 it’s failing with < 3GB RAM on target VMs

I’m not sure what might be in Kickstart that would require additional memory but it doesn’t even make it past switch root, so I’m pretty sure that’s not the cause.