Migrating from CentOS 6 to Rocky Linux - Does it work?

Does the migration script work on CentOS 6? I have an old server still running CentOS 6, and the reason why I never upgraded to CentOS 7 on it was because some package didn’t have a compatible replacement (some fonts package if I remember correctly), which didn’t seem like a big deal, but I considered it too risky since it’s a server at a data center that I don’t have local access to.

Has anyone upgraded from CentOS 6 using the migration script? Did it work OK? Is that even supported?

I’ve migrated several servers running CentOS 8, and the script works great, but I haven’t tried it from a CentOS 6 or CentOS 7 server yet. Wondering if it will work OK…

Please let me know.

migrate2rocky does not support migration from EL6 or 7 due to the large number changes made in each major release.

Alma Linux has a script called elevate which claims to be able to migrate CentOS 7 to Rocky Linux 8, but I don’t know if it can migrate from CentOS 6 (I rather doubt it). Regardless elevate and the machines migrated using the elevate tool are not supported by Rocky Linux and you do so at your own risk.

Each major release is substantially different from each other. Translation of service config from one to another is non-trivial. Even format of RPMs evolves. There is no “upgrade script” that could cope with every possible setup.

No out-of-band access (like Dell idrac, HPE ilo, ipmi, kvm, etc)?
What if something else goes wrong? Say, the kernel dumps core (which is luckily rare). How do you cope with those?