Mate being added to EPEL 8 and 9

Here’s a bit of good news from Wolfgang Ulbrich:

Hello,
it’s me the fedora MATE maintainer. We are starting to build MATE 1.26 on epel8/9 repos.
I will use higher versions than your package versions to provide people a clean upgrade to MATE 1.26 from epel repo.
So it might be a good point to stop building Mate at corps, …or maybe not. But this will make it harder for users
My motivation is to support rocky linux.

It’s good to see Mate going into a mainstream repo. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Really excited about this - thanks for the heads up!

Fantastic! I love the Mate desktop :slight_smile:

What’s the install instructions for Rocky 9? There doesn’t appear to be a handy Environment Group to install.

Thanks.

Then we have to guess which packages are necessary.

The more appropriate action is to post feature request to EPEL so that they add the group metadata to the repo. That will benefit more people that instructions for Rocky (that users of other EL9 distros, like RHEL 9, might not know to look for).

It appears there is no group yet for MATE. I tried selecting individual packages but got a desktop that had an X instead of pointer, and reported plugin errors. I finally got it working with this sloppy one-liner:

for i in $(sudo dnf search mate | grep MATE | cut -d’.’ -f 1 | grep -v metadata) ; do echo $i ; sudo dnf -y install $i ; done

You could probably look at our live image kickstarts to get an idea of packages to install. (Everything that starts with - is excluded and not installed in the live image)

2 Likes

There are probably more than those – at least if you look at yum group info mate-desktop on el7 – and the Rocky’s live kickstart seems to have yet more.