How to compensate the lack of apps on rocky

I want to install many apps but can’t. Today I installed rocky instead of manjaro and now I can’t install many of the apps I am used to like goldendict, vlc, engrampa, virtualbox, xfce4-clipman-plugin, etc.

Hi,

These are available:

epel = goldendict, vlc, xfce4-clipman-plugin
rpmfusion = virtualbox

so if you install:

dnf install epel-release

and then visit rpmfusion website and add their repository, then you will have all the packages you need. Goldendict is only in EPEL8, to get it for Rocky 9 would mean making a package request on EPEL site to get it added for EPEL9.

Use https://pkgs.org to search for packages that you might need. All the above that I mentioned can be found there as being available for either EPEL8 or EPEL9.

Virtualbox can also be downloaded and installed from the official Virtualbox website as well.

1 Like

I get the following:

sudo dnf install vlc
Last metadata expiration check: -1 day, 1:31:06 ago on Fri 16 Jun 2023 06:50:25 PM EEST.
Error: 
 Problem: cannot install the best candidate for the job
  - nothing provides libfluidsynth.so.2()(64bit) needed by vlc-1:3.0.18-1.el8.x86_64
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

I know I can use this site but I prefer to have everything in a repository.

It is there, on Rocky 8:

[root@rocky8 ~]# dnf provides */libfluidsynth.so.2
Last metadata expiration check: 2:48:10 ago on Thu 15 Jun 2023 05:34:59 PM CEST.
fluidsynth-libs-2.1.8-3.el8.x86_64 : Real-time software synthesizer run-time libraries
Repo        : epel
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib64/libfluidsynth.so.2

the website I linked shows repositories that you need to add for packages. It’s a good search tool to see if it does exist in a repository. Searching pkgs.org for goldendict showed it exists in EPEL.

If it’s not finding it on your Rocky 8, then perhaps your repo data isn’t fresh.

dnf clean all
dnf install vlc

Also check enabled repositories:

dnf repolist

to make sure you have the necessary repos. Or you can search and make sure fluidsynth is being found:

dnf search fluidsynth
dnf install fluidsynth-libs

@iwalker Just means that if you can’t find a package in a repository that you can use that website to find out in which repository it might be available in when it isn’t in the default repos, so that you can add those repos if they are available for the version you are running.

This is useful when a single package is missing but downloading all these packages from a site is tiresome.

You don’t download the packages from that site, you search the package to find out in which third-party repo it is in, then you look up the repo , add it to your system and then install the package(s) using dnf.

Please read properly, you use it as a search tool, and add the repository that the site says it exists in. I gave you a clear example that I quoted. All of the packages that you want to install, show exactly that they are in EPEL repository or RPMFusion repository. You add these repositories and then use dnf to install.

Name : xfce4-clipman-plugin
Version : 1.6.2
Release : 3.el8
Architecture : x86_64
Size : 218 k
Source : xfce4-clipman-plugin-1.6.2-3.el8.src.rpm
Repository : epel
Summary : Clipboard manager plugin for the Xfce panel

Name : vlc
Epoch : 1
Version : 3.0.18
Release : 1.el8
Size : 1.5 M
Source : vlc-3.0.18-1.el8.src.rpm
Repository : rpmfusion-free-updates
Summary : The cross-platform open-source multimedia framework, player and server

Name : VirtualBox
Version : 7.0.8
Size : 25 M
Source : VirtualBox-7.0.8-1.el8.src.rpm
Repository : rpmfusion-free-updates
Summary : A general-purpose full virtualizer for PC hardware

Name : goldendict
Version : 1.5
Release : 0.29.RC2.el8
Size : 2.0 M
Source : goldendict-1.5-0.29.RC2.el8.src.rpm
Summary : A feature-rich dictionary lookup program
URL : http://goldendict.org

Name : engrampa
Version : 1.26.1
Size : 1.4 M
Source : engrampa-1.26.1-1.el8.src.rpm
Summary : MATE Desktop file archiver

EPEL: dnf install epel-release
RPMfusion: Configuration - RPM Fusion

Sorry for not reading properly. I used the site to search for vlc and it says it is in RPM Fusion Free Updates x86_64 and I have this repository:

dnf repolist
repo id                              repo name
appstream                            Rocky Linux 9 - AppStream
baseos                               Rocky Linux 9 - BaseOS
crb                                  Rocky Linux 9 - CRB
epel                                 Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 9 - x86_64
extras                               Rocky Linux 9 - Extras
gf                                   Ghettoforge packages that won't overwrite core distro packages.
gitlab.com_paulcarroty_vscodium_repo download.vscodium.com
nux-dextop                           Nux.Ro RPMs for general desktop use
rpmfusion-free-updates               RPM Fusion for EL 8 - Free - Updates

and I executed the following:

but I am still getting:

sudo dnf install vlc
Last metadata expiration check: -1 day, 1:47:57 ago on Fri 16 Jun 2023 06:50:25 PM EEST.
Error: 
 Problem: cannot install the best candidate for the job
  - nothing provides libfluidsynth.so.2()(64bit) needed by vlc-1:3.0.18-1.el8.x86_64
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

You have Rocky Linux 9 install but you added the rpmfusion 8 repos instead fo the rpmfusion 9 repos.

What command should I execute to get this info?

First remove rpmfusion 8 by running.
rpm -qa | grep rpmfusion | xargs dnf remove -y
The install rpmfusion for version 9.
dnf clean all && dnf install https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/free/el/rpmfusion-free-release-9.noarch.rpm https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-9.noarch.rpm
Then try installing vlc.
dnf install vlc

2 Likes

I installed rpmfusion 9 and vlc is now installed. Thanks man. I will try to get the other apps also.

1 Like

Also you should remove the nux-desktop repo, from the website: This project is RETIRED! Meaning those packages won’t get updates and they wouldn’t have worked anyways because those packages aren’t built for Rocky Linux 9.

I can’t install xfce4-clipman-plugin

sudo dnf install xfce4-clipman-plugin
Rocky Linux 9 - BaseOS                          2.0 kB/s | 4.1 kB     00:02    
Rocky Linux 9 - AppStream                       2.7 kB/s | 4.5 kB     00:01    
Rocky Linux 9 - CRB                             4.1 kB/s | 4.5 kB     00:01    
download.vscodium.com                           491  B/s | 866  B     00:01    
No match for argument: xfce4-clipman-plugin
Error: Unable to find a match: xfce4-clipman-plugin

or goldendict:

sudo dnf install goldendict
Rocky Linux 9 - BaseOS                          2.6 kB/s | 4.1 kB     00:01    
Rocky Linux 9 - AppStream                       2.8 kB/s | 4.5 kB     00:01    
Rocky Linux 9 - CRB                             4.1 kB/s | 4.5 kB     00:01    
download.vscodium.com                           569  B/s | 866  B     00:01    
No match for argument: goldendict
Error: Unable to find a match: goldendict

You don’t have epel enabled:

dnf install epel-release

also as mentioned, EPEL9 doesn’t have goldendict. Only EPEL8 has. So on Rocky 9 you will have all packages except goldendict. If you need it, install Rocky 8 instead.

EPEL9 does have the xfce plugin that you need.

You are going to have a harder time finding the same desktop applications for Rocky Linux because RHEL clones are mostly used for servers and there aren’t as many desktop packages packaged for RHEL as for distributions like Arch and Ubuntu when it comes to desktop applications. You will be better off running Fedora if you want to run an rpm based distribution as a desktop, why are you actually wanting to run Rocky Linux as a desktop?

I applied for a cloud engineering internship recently and I think that I will need something like RHEL for free and I want something stable also, which is one of the reasons I left manjaro because it is not stable as I thought. Anyway I got everything running except goldentdict. Thank you @iwalker. And also I want to thank you @Cphusion for your help so far.

2 Likes