How to bring back Windows minimize and maximize Titlebar Buttons in Rocky Linux 8.5?

Hi All,
How to bring back Windows minimize and maximize Titlebar Buttons in Rocky Linux 8.5?
Because, after installing updates in my Rocky linux, all the windows title bar minimize
and maximize button is gone. Desktop icon display is also gone.
How to fix these?

Please help.

Best regards,
Marben

If you are running gnome, open gnome-tweaks and look under the Windows tab. The lower right section has two checkboxes to enable/disable them.

Hi joebeasley3,
i did that, but it doesn’t work.
I also restart rocky linux, but the windows minimize and maximize button
won’t show.
Please help.

Best regards,
Marben

You need to first clarify if you’re running Gnome classic shell or Gnome default and whether you are using X or Wayland.

GNOME_SHELL_SESSION_MODE
DESKTOP_SESSION
XDG_SESSION_TYPE

Hi gerry666uk.,
Ii think 'm using gnome default, DESKTOP_SESSION.
Gnome version 3.32.Z.
Please see attached files.

Best regards,
Marben

Can you echo all three env vars. You don’t need to post screen shots, you can paste using “prefomatted text”.

[Marben@eda ~]$ echo $GNOME_SHELL_SESSION_MODE

[Marben@eda ~]$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
gnome
[Marben@eda ~]$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
wayland
[Marben@eda ~]$

Can you try switching to “classic” mode.
At the ‘gdm’ login screen, click on your name, but BEFORE you enter the password, click the cog wheel, and choose “classic” with “wayland”. You shoud see a different style of desktop.

Hi gerry666uk,
It works, thank you very much.
My windows maximize and minimize button display is back.
Also my desktop icons display is now visible.
Is their any fix for standard wayland to display the icons?,
so that I can use it again instead of classic wayland.

Best regards,
Marben

The Wayland is not key here; you get same differences with X11 too.
Both “standard” and “classic” refer to GNOME 3.

One description of “classic”, for RHEL 7: 1.3. What Is GNOME Classic? Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 | Red Hat Customer Portal

The classic mode is available, if package gnome-classic-session is installed. It is, as one of the default gnome packages. Personally I never let it install, but that is because I don’t care about GUI.

Thank you very much for your reply.
this forum helps me a lot.

The key here is Gnome “Classic” vs “Standard”. Personally I can’t stand the new new Gnome “Standard”, so I use “Classic” with “Wayland”.

BUT, as far as I know it’s not supplied by Gnome, and is related to Fedora. In addition, I think it’s also going to be available with Gnome 40 in RHEL 9 (Rocky 9), which is good.

I don’t know if ‘minimize’ and ‘maximize’ even exist in Gnome “Standard” because the concept is that you won’t need them. There’s some absurd concept of “shoving” a mouse into the corner of the screen every time you want to do something.

Description of “classic” is also on “gnome.org”. Is that a “not Gnome” thing? What is GNOME Classic?

OK, it’s interesting that it’s on gnome.org, I had not seen that page before, but I’d like to know where the extension source code comes from, e.g. is it part of the Gnome 3.0 source code? I was (originally) trying to confirm that Gnome Classic would exist in Gnome 40 and could not find it.

CentOS Stream 9 repo has package ’ gnome-classic-session-40.5-4.el9.noarch’. No idea where does Red Hat build it from.

I just had a look inside ‘gnome-shell-extensions-3.32.1-15.el8_4’, and it looks like the actual source code comes from gnome.org, e.g. ‘Index of /sources/gnome-shell-extensions/3.32/’, but it’s then been packaged with a number of enhancements, either by Fedora or RHEL. The “Classic” part actually depends on a number of other extensions. In summary, I think a lot of work has gone into it, and it’s good news that it’s still going to work in Gnome 40.