Error after restarting server

Hello there. I am running Rocky Linux 9 on my laptop which I use as a server with Nginx, mysql etc for hosting a website.

I was trying to set up a mail server, and the last step I made was:

sudo nano /etc/selinux/config
And set the selinux to enforcing as the guide suggested.

Then I typed: sudo shutdown -r now

What happens now is that my server drops errors while booting leading to a screen like the one I include in the picture giving me no control over my server data.

Any help?

You will likely need to get into rescue mode or an emergency shell and run touch /.autorelabel, and reboot.

Hello and thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Am facing the same error while booting in rescue mode. Furthermore, when I press ‘c’ (in the menu where I choose for normal boot or rescue boot) the terminal that opens has no “touch” installed.

Grub is not going to understand the touch command. You will need to boot into rescue or emergency mode.

This will require you to:

  • press “e” on the grub menu
  • modify the linux/linux16/linuxefi line to have init=/bin/bash at the end
  • press ctrl+x to boot
  • run mount -o remount,rw /
  • run touch /.autorelabel
  • reboot -f

For future readers and for mods that may be able to change the topic title, this seems to be an issue after setting selinux from disabled to enforcing.