Can't install simplescreenrecorder

Hello,
I’ve been trying to install simplescreenrecorder app.
it’s exactly as it says … simple screen recorder for screen capture.
I’ve been using it to record my screen for guiding my friends and also for my YT comming channel.
it’s working in fedora, ubuntu, arch but i couldn’t find it in Rocky repos.
I enabled all fedora repos I know of through software manager and terminal.
no luck finding it.
I admit it’s old and outdated for long but it’s working.
if any alternatives the same “simple” GUI and resources also.
I have OBS but it’s not always working for my laptop + it’s heavy on hardware with glitches.
thanks

It is in the rpm fusion repo.

dnf install rpmfusion-free-release

1 Like

Thanks for the help.
i got this
"Package rpmfusion-free-release-9-1.el9.noarch is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
"
then i used the line from the official page
“sudo dnf install simplescreenrecorder
Last metadata expiration check: 0:02:45 ago on Fri 19 Aug 2022 08:26:52 +04.
No match for argument: simplescreenrecorder
Error: Unable to find a match: simplescreenrecorder”

On rpmfind, I did see an EL8 srpm. However, on an alma 9 Vm install, though I was able to download all dependencies with dnf -y builddep (having crb, epel, and rpmfusion repos installed), doing rpmbuild -ba simplescreenrecorder.spec failed. As there is an EL8 build, it’s probably worth requesting an EL9 version. Like the OP, I haven’t been able to find it with dnf search.

1 Like

I’m not seeing it listed in

rpmfusion-free-release-9-1.el9.noarch
1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
I can see it’s far beyond my knowledge.
Is there other solution to get the app to install ?
Is there a similar app that really does the recording not just blank screen ?
I tested all apps under “record” in software center like Peek, Blue Recorder and a punch of other not working recorders.
My Laptop is ASUS with GTX 1060TI single GPU.
OBS working perfect as usual but I need simple recorder with just record and stop.

There is a link to an srpm for recordmydesktop for EPEL7. It does show a conflict when installing dependencies and not being in the mood to fix anything, I stopped there, rather than using --allow-erasing which might have fixed it.
You can also use ffmpeg. I haven’t had too much success with that, but having alterrnatives, I didn’t really try . It might be worth attempting.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop

1 Like

I was able to record the screen to a file with a single command in terminal, and then play it back by double clicking on it.

gst-launch-1.0 ximagesrc ! video/x-raw,framerate=5/1 ! videoconvert ! theoraenc ! oggmux ! filesink location=desktop.ogg

This should work without having to install anything, assuming you have a Gnome disktop already installed. I was surprised how good it looked on a first attempt.
BUT, this will only work when you log in using X org, it won’t work using Wayland.

1 Like

Thanks all for the help.
After a lot of apps trials I finally settled on an app called “Kooha”
It works perfect in Gnome-Xorg with simple interface, good quality and low resources.