Best way to install Veracrypt in Rocky 8.8

Hi,

BTW I was so absolutely excited to see the news about the CIQ, SUSE and Oracle collaboration and I congratulate the whole Rocky team!

I would like to install Veracrypt on Rocky 8.8, and I notice at:

That there are installer files for:

Generic Installers: veracrypt-1.25.9-setup.tar.bz2 (41.5 MB) (PGP Signature)

and:

CentOS 8/Fedora 34: GUI: veracrypt-1.25.9-CentOS-8-x86_64.rpm (PGP Signature)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the
CentOS 8/Fedora 34 version should install properly in Rocky 8.8?

I am used to installing the generic Veracrypt in eg Fedora 32 a few years ago, so that would not be difficult, but it would be a little easier I think if I could use the Centos 8 rpm file.

Any input is appreciated - thanks ahead of time…

The RESF nor the Rocky Linux project have any involvement in openELA. We were not involved in its creation.

Best way to find out is to try. Vendors try to make their software work for multiple versions from a single RPM (not recommended, but vendors don’t see it that way). Since they say it’s supposed to work for CentOS 8, it should “just work” on Rocky Linux 8, due to glibc being similar versions.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the info :slight_smile:

The RESF nor the Rocky Linux project have any involvement in openELA. We were not involved in its creation.

I just thought since CIQ is Founding Partner/Sponsor - We believe in helping people do great things. This is why CIQ is a founding partner of the RESF. We provide commercial support and services for Rocky Linux to customers in research, academia, government, enterprise, partners, and everyone in between.

I just thought it can’t be bad news for the RESF nor the Rocky Linux project.

Maybe I dont understand the situation - but I hope it is something good for RESF and the Rocky Linux project :slight_smile:

But I stand corrected - didnt mean any offence :slight_smile:

I’m on 8.8 at the moment
and use VeraCrypt 1.25.9 (which is current)

I installed when I was on 8.5 using veracrypt-1.25.9-CentOS-8-x86_64.rpm

There are 2 files
veracrypt-console-1.25.9-CentOS-8-x86_64.rpm
veracrypt-1.25.9-CentOS-8-x86_64.rpm

Notes from my installation scripts …

# veracrypt        
    # not currently possible to install console and gui versions at the same time - rpm conflicts.
    # However, only used for accessing legacy volumes at present so not worth pursuing. gui is preferred.
    rpm -i ./veracrypt/gui.rpm # link to veracrypt-1.25.9-CentOS-8-x86_64.rpm

No issues but I don’t use it much - just to access old files on old VC volumes.

So! what is it you need to plausibly deny ? :slight_smile:

@bobar Thanks sharing your experience - it is helpful for me to know that the rpm installs fine.

So! what is it you need to plausibly deny ? :slight_smile:

LOL! Nothing. Nothing at all! I have no idea what you are talking about :slight_smile:

TBH I am a workstation user and back up to an external HD that is LUKS encrypted. But I like to have second backup method so in the past I have used Veracrypt to encrypt a whole external HD, and I plan to use this method again.

Like the move to use SSL/https for everything, no one should stand out for using encryption as something to hide/plausibly deny.
If we all use encryption for everything it becomes normalised, and standard practice.
regards peter

1 Like