When RL plan to introduce gnome40?

I successfully install RL on my DELL optiplex machine , no boot up issues… Works like a charm, just missing set of wallpapers for background lightly dims my evening. Thank you RL Team for your hard work!
with bunch of Seasonal Greetings,
AB.

Hi,

Rocky Linux is a 1:1 of RHEL. Therefore, unless RHEL introduce it, then it won’t exist in Rocky Linux. That said, maybe third-party repos like epel or others might have a newer version of Gnome in it that you can use. It’s unlikely however RHEL will include it. Maybe that would appear in RHEL9 or Rocky 9, but until then, I doubt it will apear officially but only in third-party repos if someone decides to package it. Even if someone did, it’s most likely going to be problematic anyway, like other users who installed KDE from third-party repos.

OK, thanks for the answer gnome 40 is a centos9 feature, Let me rephrase the question, when we can expect Rocky Linux 9?
thanks,
AB

Most likely when RHEL9 is released, which isn’t any time soon. RHEL haven’t even given a release date yet, so Rocky Linux won’t have one either yet. CentOS Stream 9 has only been released not long ago.

At a guess, going by this: Red Hat Enterprise Linux - Wikipedia

probably in a couple of years.

no, not that long. second half of 2022 would be my bet. however, we know RHEL is ready when it’s ready, as always.

1 Like

Red Hat people have mentioned a goal of major release every three years. If they manage to make it, then late Spring 2022. Second half 2022 is equally realistic.

RHEL 7 did release with GNOME 3.8 and has since rebased couple times, up to 3.28.
RHEL 8 was released with GNOME 3.28.
CentOS Stream 9 has currently GNOME 40.?.