Upgrade 8.8 to 4.18.0-513.9.1.el8_9.x86_64

I am working on installing the lustre filesystem on Rocky 8.8; the current kernel version is

[root@mds lustre-release]# uname -r
4.18.0-477.10.1.el8_8.x86_64

Unfortunately, when I configured, built and installed lustre, it got built against 4.18.0-513.9.1.el8_9.x86_64, because that was the version of the kernel sources I got when I installed the sources without specifying the exact version. The result is that now all the lustre modules are in the wrong place under /lib/modules.

I see, much to my surprise, that there isn’t in fact a source RPM for the running kernel:

[root@mds lustre-release]# dnf download --source kernel-4.18.0-477.10.1.el8_8.x86_64
enabling appstream-source repository
enabling baseos-source repository
enabling ha-source repository
enabling powertools-source repository
Rocky Linux 8 - BaseOS - Source                                                                                               1.2 MB/s | 337 kB     00:00    
Rocky Linux 8 - AppStream - Source                                                                                            3.1 MB/s | 904 kB     00:00    
Rocky Linux 8 - High Availability - Source                                                                                     35 kB/s | 8.8 kB     00:00    
Rocky Linux 8 - PowerTools - Source                                                                                           879 kB/s | 195 kB     00:00    
No package kernel-4.18.0-477.10.1.el8_8.x86_64 available.
Exiting due to strict setting.
Error: No package kernel-4.18.0-477.10.1.el8_8.x86_64 available.

So, do I in fact have to do all this again, starting with recompiling the the kernel sources, then rebuilding lustre, which has in fact taken most of today, after I eventually got everything to build without errors? Or is there a handy RPM that will give me the specific kernel I need?

I feel more care should be taken with coordinating the available kernel sources with the ones in the install images; it would save some of us a lot of grief.

When a minor version is released (e.g. 8.9) all previous version content is removed and vaulted away. This includes the kernel. Our Version Policy on the wiki will explain this also. This means that if you need the 8.8 content, you would need to use the vault by modifying your repo files to do so. So yes, you will have to repeat your process all over again, but after you’ve modified your repo files to point to the vault. Once you’ve successfully modified your repo files, and you can install the necessary packages, you’ll be able to target your running kernel.

All vaulted content is available here.

Note: 8.8 is no longer in support. You are recommended to update your system to 8.9. Continuing to run on any older version other than the latest is not recommended and unsupported.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.