Upgrade 8.7 to 9.1 : package issue

Hello everyone,

I’m quite new to rocky so please excuse an issue that may seem trivial :frowning:

My cloud provider only allows install images of 8.7, not 9 yet. So i was trying to play around with a server we need to reinstall anyway. Here are my steps :

1/ Rescue mode, boot from network and install rocky 8.7
2/ From there run this tutorial How to Upgrade from Rocky Linux 8 to Rocky Linux 9
3/ I can’t even get the 3 packages installed, with these errors : Screenshot by Lightshot

Any suggestion would be most appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks

First, I’d say “in-place conversion to different OS” than “upgrade”.
Second, I personally rather reinstall, but that obviously is not an option in your cloud.

The AlmaLinux has ELevate project. They do have el8 → el9 version in development. AlmaLinux OS - ELevate Your Distribution
That attempts to automatize the various steps.
Since you have an expendable system, you could try the ELevate (and help its development in the process).

The error message is quite clear. You try to install package “rocky-release”. It requires other packages (rocky-repos) that are not in any repository. In such case one could try one of two things:

• Install the required package (rocky-repos) first
  • Install both packages in same command

The definitions of repositories used to be in the *-release package, but in el9 they have been refactored into *-repos package. Did that happen after that tutorial was written? What else in it might be out of date?

There is on additional twist: names of /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo files are same in el8 and el9, are they not?
Replacing the files with el9-versions makes the el8-repos inaccessible. That might be ok in that phase of the operation – a point of no easy return.

Thanks for your input, i’ll research that.

Unfortunatly I tried installing the rpms in a different order, including rocky-repos first : Screenshot by Lightshot

As for this : “The definitions of repositories used to be in the *-release package, but in el9 they have been refactored into *-repos package. Did that happen after that tutorial was written? What else in it might be out of date?” → I’m not sure at all but I didnt know about the refactor so thx :slight_smile:

The ‘rocky-repos’ requires ‘system-release’. The ‘rocky-release’ most likely provides the ‘system-release’.
This co-dependence means that the packages have to be installed simultaneously.

1 Like

I don’t f**ing believe my stupidity : Screenshot by Lightshot

Why on earth did I split the command…

The URLs are a bit long. Awkward in one command …

1 Like

The in-place conversion is running smooth for now, i’ll return once it’s done :slight_smile:

all done and with success

thanks a lot for your help @jlehtone !