Sudo apt command not found

Hello everyone

no matter what i want to do i’m always confronting with problem ‘sudo: apt: command not found’. I read every article i found on google and watched every video on youtube, still got nothing… I can’t still even write sudo apt update. Can anybody help me ? (btw. I’m newbie)
Thanks in advance

Rocky uses dnf. “dnf update”

3 Likes

Sir, thanks for your reply. I have another question; for example if i want to write ‘sudo apt install software-properties-common’ will it be enough to write dnf instead of apt?

1 Like

Hi,

Software-properties-common is for apt repos, has no relevance with dnf/rocky.

Thanks Tom.

2 Likes

What is the proper way to install a software then? For instance how can I install Virtualbox?

Thanks

1 Like

sudo dnf install name_of_package

Names of packages are different than in ubuntu.

There is libvirt that is at least as good as virtualbox.

2 Likes

Hi,

As jlehtone suggests you can install via dnf or mosts DEs (kde or gnome for example), have a software centre/store, these make it easier to find and install software/packages.

For instance how can I install Virtualbox

Needs to epel, so may not be the software centre by default.

Thanks Tom.

2 Likes

apt is the package management system for debian and ubuntu linux distributions, and so when you see instructions for installing software that tells you to use apt then you’re looking at instructions for the wrong distribution. Rocky Linux uses the dnf or yum package manager. You should look for installation instructions for Rocky linux 8, RHEL 8 or CentOS 8 the latter two which should always work for Rocky Linux as well. Those will give instructions that use dnf or sometimes yum, but never apt.

2 Likes

You seem to be running on Debian or Ubuntu. Rocky Linux uses yum or dnf as its package managers.