Sound does not work

I have performed an installation of Rocky 8.4 in a Centos 7.9 hyperviser. Everything went well except i can not access the usb ports and the sound is not active. I have the sound set to ich6. Your help would be apprecated.

Greg Ennis

I was able to figure out the usb problem, I just need to authenticate the usb with the hyperviser.

I still have not been able to get the sound to work. I would sure appreciate your help.

Greg Ennis

Rocky 9.2 VM Web Server

Looking for the same solution for the no-sound from the VM, has anyone solve this? I added “Sound ich9” and its set to HDA (ICH9) with no success.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc. QEMU Virtual Machine
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 58
	Memory at c1c40000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

snd_intel_dspcfg       32768  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_intel_sdw_acpi     20480  1 snd_intel_dspcfg

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)

snd_hda_intel          57344  2
snd_intel_dspcfg       32768  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec         176128  2 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_core          114688  3 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm               151552  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd                   122880  14 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_pcm

What do I need to do to make this work?

Has anyone solved getting Guest VMs sound to work? And what is openSUSE Leap doing different then other RPM base OS doing to successfully get sound to work?

do you have qemu-guest-agent or equivalent installed.
In proxmox on one of my vm’s i just added a sound device (proxmox uses qemu vm’s)
and I already had the /usr/bin/qemu-ga running

/usr/bin/qemu-ga --method=virtio-serial --path=/dev/virtio-ports/org.qemu.guest_agent.0 --blacklist=guest-file-open,guest-fil
e-close,guest-file-read,guest-file-write,guest-file-seek,guest-file-flush,guest-exec,guest-exec-status -F/etc/qemu-ga/fsfreeze-hook

and my audio device is as follows.

02:0c.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc. QEMU Virtual Machine
Physical Slot: 12-3
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 36
Memory at fe600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

in other words it does not have the Capabilities: <access denied> that you have.

i cant test that the sound works for you but the change in the status between my system and yours if you dont have the /usr/bin/qemu-ga may be an option to try.
regards peter