Smokeping in rocky linux with librenms

I’m trying to setup smokeping with librenms, when I try to do

sudo systemctl enable --now smokeping
Failed to enable unit: Unit file smokeping.service does not exist.

I’m not able to run smokeping service or having issue restart services or seeing what service is being run.

I’m not a linux expert, but I have done this before with other operating systems.

Hi,

Is this for RockyLinux 8.7 or 9.1?

If its it 8.7 have you installed the epel repo and enabled the powertools repo?

If its 9.1, doesn’t look like its available yet. Either file a bug report with on the EPEL bugzilla, requesting it or you could try building with mock from fedora src rpm.

Regards Tom.

1 Like

It’s 8.7. But yeah its so not complete :frowning: afraid I need new OS that documentation cover or find some linux expert to fix that.

Hi,

Working fine here:

$ sudo systemctl enable --now smokeping
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/smokeping.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/smokeping.service.
$ sudo systemctl status smokeping
● smokeping.service - Latency Logging and Graphing System
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/smokeping.service; enabled; vendor p>
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2023-02-16 21:30:01 GMT; 17s ago
  Process: 6029 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/smokeping-fix-ownership (code=exited,>
 Main PID: 6032 (/usr/sbin/smoke)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 47651)
   Memory: 78.5M
   CGroup: /system.slice/smokeping.service
           └─6032 /usr/sbin/smokeping [FPing]

Feb 16 21:30:01 x1-carbon systemd[1]: Starting Latency Logging and Graphing Sys>
Feb 16 21:30:01 x1-carbon systemd[1]: Started Latency Logging and Graphing Syst>
Feb 16 21:30:03 x1-carbon smokeping[6032]: Smokeping version 2.008002 successfu>
Feb 16 21:30:03 x1-carbon smokeping[6032]: Not entering multiprocess mode for j>
Feb 16 21:30:03 x1-carbon smokeping[6032]: FPing: probing 3 targets with step 3>
lines 1-15/15 (END)...skipping...

Can you please confirm smokeping is installed with dnf (sudo dnf install smokeping)?

Regards Tom.

1 Like