Setup my own RPM package repository

Hi,

I’m running Rocky Linux 8 on nearly all my servers, and I’m currently migrating my desktop clients to it. There are a few packages missing that I can’t find in any third-party repository such as EPEL or RPMFusion, so I installed mock and rpm-build and built them locally. So far so good.

If I remember correctly, the last time I setup my own package repository was shortly after CentOS 5.0 was released. Unfortunately I have lost the documentation I wrote at the time. I vaguely remember there was a nifty tool to create all the metadata from a local RPM package collection. Yeah, and I also forgot how to sign my own RPM packages with my GPG key.

Before I dive back in, do you have any pointers to some well-written documentation/tutorial about the subject?

Cheers from the rainy South of France !

Hi,

I believe you mean the createrepo package? I used this recently to quickly create myself a repo of which I access over HTTP/HTTPS. The only thing I didn’t integrate yet is gpgkeys, but as it’s only used by me I’m not too worried about it.

This should help: https://wiki.cdot.senecacollege.ca/wiki/Signing_and_Creating_a_Repository_for_RPM_Packages and Creating a Signed RPM repo

5 Likes

Thanks very much ! That’s exactly the kind of to-the-point documentation that I was looking for. And yes, the tool in question was indeed createrepo, I remember now.

3 Likes

For the record, I just published two detailed blog articles (in French) about building RPM packages, signing them and publishing them in a public repository:

Cheers,

Niki

3 Likes