Rocky linux failed while migrate

I have migrated my server from centos8.5 to Rockylinux 8.5 and the script is failed . But the version is showing Rocky Linux 8.5 and My cloud is showing Centos 8.5. And i have update the kernel but still it is showing old kernel . Is this due to failed migration script.

Failed at what point with what error message(s)?

What is “My cloud”? It shows a string.

Does it read that string from the system, or does it have a copy taken during initial install of CentOS 8?

• If the former, then migration has not modified that string and the question is, where in the system that string is, i.e. how the migration could be made more complete?
  • If the latter, then we are talking about data outside the system and migration should hardly modify the entire Internet

nessus

ness-1

On azure its showing Centos 8.5 and the OS is showing Rockylinux 8.5 And kernel is showing vulnerability Rocky Linux 8 : kernel-rt (RLSA-2022:819)

When you did install CentOS, was it 8.5 and/or does the hypervisor have “tell what distro” selection?

yes,it was centos 8.5 on last month…
what is distro selection

Ok, the “azure” must have memorized the “centos 8.5” when you did create the instance. That is just a string that has no effect on how the machine behaves.

What does uname -r show?
(Btw, can’t you copy-paste from terminal? Bitmap images are awkward.)

[root@nessus ~]# uname -r
4.18.0-348.7.1.el8_5.x86_64

The currently running kernel is not the latest one. You want to install the latest and then reboot to get it into use.

dnf list kernel does show what you have installed and what is available.

However, one should not update only select packages but all that one can:

sudo dnf up
sudo systemctl reboot

The template used for creating the VM will never change. The only time it would change is if you decided to reinstall it from scratch and chose a different template. Upgrading the OS inside the VM will have no effect on that.

I have VM’s at OVH, which were installed with Debian 9 template, and they still show this, despite the fact the OS is running Debian 11 now after being upgraded twice, once to Debian 10, and now 11.

1 Like

Isn’t “reinstall from scratch” relatively “cheap” with VM’s?
(One naturally needs to retain the user data and redeploy appropriate configuration somehow.)
That is, if the “retain and redeploy” are easy, then there is less need to migrate or upgrade.