Problem compiling Samba on Rocky Linux

Hey, I am not a Linux God like some of you, but I know enough to be dangerous.

I am setting up Samba to do be a Active Directory Domain Controller on a Rocky 8.6 box. I have my notes where I have done this many times on CentOS 8.4 and earlier. I have to download and compile Samba, because the version that RedHat includes with the packages cannot be a AD Domain controller. I am at the point where I have downloaded the latest stable samba, un-tarred it, and I am trying to do my ./configure and I get the following message:

Checking for dbus                                                                               : not found 
vfs_snapper is enabled but prerequisite dbus-1 package not found. Use --with-shared-modules='!vfs_snapper' to disable vfs_snapper support.
(complete log in /home/tom/samba-4.16.2/bin/config.log)

I have looked and it looks like the dbus-1 is supposed to be part of the dbus package, but I show it is already installed and there is no package dbus-1 or dbus1

[root@localhost samba-4.16.2]# yum list installed | grep dbus
dbus.x86_64                                        1:1.12.8-18.el8                                           @baseos    
dbus-common.noarch                                 1:1.12.8-18.el8                                           @baseos    
dbus-daemon.x86_64                                 1:1.12.8-18.el8                                           @baseos    
dbus-glib.x86_64                                   0.110-2.el8                                               @baseos    
dbus-libs.x86_64                                   1:1.12.8-18.el8                                           @baseos    
dbus-tools.x86_64                                  1:1.12.8-18.el8                                           @baseos    
dbus-x11.x86_64                                    1:1.12.8-18.el8                                           @appstream 
dleyna-connector-dbus.x86_64                       0.3.0-2.el8                                               @appstream 
python3-dbus.x86_64                                1.2.4-15.el8                                              @baseos    
python3-pydbus.noarch                              0.6.0-5.el8                                               @appstream 
python3-slip-dbus.noarch                           0.6.4-11.el8                                              @baseos    
[root@localhost samba-4.16.2]#

Never mind. I found it here: pip - No package 'dbus-1' found - Stack Overflow

had to do a: dnf install dbus-devel

2 Likes

I was going to suggest installing the development tools, so you found it on your own! :slight_smile: When building things from source, the devel packages are almost always required.

1 Like